House saved from kitchen blaze in Vava’u

Hao ;ikai ha maumau lahi ki he fale na'e vela 'i Kāmeli , Vava'u he hengihengi 'o e 'aho' ni 'i he feinga 'a e fāmili' ke tāmate'i pea tokoni ki ai 'a e tāmate afi'

A family saved their house in Kāmeli after a blaze thought to have been started by a pot left on a stove this morning.

The family tried to extinguish the fire with water.

No injuries were reported.

Neiafu fire brigade was called to Halalele at about 1am this morning Sunday 15.

They arrived in time to help save the timber house from major damage, Neiafu Town Officer Vava Lapota said.

Lapota claimed Fusikata’s son was warming up food in the stove before the fire started.

Lapota said the house belonged to Sione Fusikata.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news