Strawberry needle scare: Australia probe as ‘vicious crime’ widens

'Oku taupotu 'i lalo ha fakamatala faka-Tonga

Australia has ordered an investigation into the discovery of sewing needles hidden in strawberries, amid growing alarm over scares across the country.

Contaminated punnets have now been reported in six states and territories. A minister called it a “vicious crime”.

One man was taken to hospital after eating a strawberry that held a needle.

Several brands have been recalled, while a major New Zealand grocer said that it had stopped selling imported strawberries as a precaution.

Australian Health Minister Greg Hunt ordered the Food Safety Authority of Australia and New Zealand to investigate the scare.

“This is a very vicious crime and it’s a general attack on the public,” he said.

Local authorities are also investigating, but no suspects have been identified.

Copycat fears

Cases of fruit tampering were first reported in Queensland last week, before spreading to New South Wales, Victoria, the Australian Capital Territory, South Australia and Tasmania.

Growers and police have suggested that some cases may be copycat incidents.

The Queensland state government has offered a A$100,000 (£55,000; $72,000) reward for information.

“How could any right-minded person want to put a baby or a child or anybody’s health at risk by doing such a dreadful act?” Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Thursday, the Queensland Strawberry Growers’ Association said the needles may have been placed by a “disgruntled employee”. However, police said that it was too early to speculate.

At least six brands have been caught up in the scare: Berry Obsession, Berry Licious, Love Berry, Donnybrook Berries, Delightful Strawberries and Oasis.

Health officials have advised Australians to cut up strawberries before eating them.

Growers have expressed concerns that the scare, which has come during the peak of production, could have a negative effect on sales for an industry worth about A$130m a year.

On Monday, New Zealand company Foodstuffs – which supplies about half of the country’s supermarkets – said it had stopped importing Australian strawberries due to the scare.

-BBC

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news