Home Around New Zealand & the World Ponsonby Road shooting: Hone Kay-Selwyn found dead in or near Taupō

Ponsonby Road shooting: Hone Kay-Selwyn found dead in or near Taupō

0
3376

By rnz.co.nz and is republished with permission

A man wanted over a central Auckland fatal shooting, and revealed to be a gang member, has been found dead near Taupō.

Police were searching for Hone Kay-Selwyn, 31, who they believed shot one person dead on Ponsonby Road on Sunday night.

The victim, named as Robert Sidney Horne, had been with a group of people at the time, and was found dead by police when they arrived at the scene, outside a bar. Police said multiple shots had been fired.

On Wednesday morning, a source confirmed the discovery of Kay-Selwyn’s body to RNZ. Police later confirmed the death.

Detective Inspector Chris Barry said homicide investigators were travelling to the Taupō region on Tuesday afternoon.

“On the way, police were notified of a man located deceased at a rural address in the Broadlands area.”

Kay-Selwyn’s death was being treated as unexplained, he said.

He said the deceased man was found by an associate on Tuesday. Police also confirmed Kay-Selwyn was a member of the Killer Beez gang.

“While a post-mortem examination is yet to be completed, it is believed the deceased is the man sought by police in relation to the homicide investigation.”

Police did not believe there was any relationship between the Ponsonby shooting victim and the suspect, nor did they believe the victim and his associates on the night have any criminal group links.

Auckland City CIB would be working with Bay of Plenty CIB counterparts as part of the investigation.

Barry said the homicide investigation remained ongoing, but they were not seeking anyone else in relation to it.

“Our investigation team will continue to piece together the information received to date and we will continue to make enquiries on behalf of the Coroner.

“Police have notified the victim’s family of these developments, and we have been in touch with the family of the man sought.”

Police thanked the public for the information received regarding the identity of the man sought.

A woman, who said she was the partner of Kay-Selwyn, had expressed remorse for his actions.

In a now deleted Facebook post earlier this week, she said her inbox had been “overflowing” with messages about her partner’s actions on Sunday night in Ponsonby.

“I want to express my sincerest condolences to the family and loved ones of the victim. I’m deeply sorry and feel a great sense of shame about the situation.”

She said she was “grappling” with the fact he had taken someone’s life.

When contacted by RNZ the woman did not want to comment further.

Police would not comment directly on the social media post or confirm if they had spoken to the woman.

What happened?

About 10.15pm on Sunday, police were called to Ponsonby Road after reports of a possible shooting.

When officers arrived, a man was lying dead on the pavement, outside Glengarry Wines. Police immediately cordoned off the area and launched a homicide investigation.

Detective Inspector Barry said it was believed the alleged gunman had been denied access to a bar on the road as staff were preparing to close for the night.

He lingered on the street.

Barry said it was believed the man had a gun concealed in a bag he was carrying, and when a group of four men got out of a car nearby, he fired multiple shots at them, killing one.

By the time police arrived, the shooter had left the scene.