Saturday, February 21, 2026
Home Blog Page 923

Tonga High School celebrates two anniversaries

Tonga High School alumni are hosting a formal 65th and 66th celebration in Nuku’alofa this week. The event coincides with the Heilala Week Festival as well as King’s Birthday. The school’s 65th anniversary was postponed since King George V died last year.  The celebration started yesterday 3 with a welcoming reception hosted by 1975 – 1979 ex-students.

Today’s program began with a street parade by all classes behind students carrying signs that designate each class and year. It was followed by a lunch hosted by classes of 1950-1955 and a fundraising for the school cultural events. It continued on to night with a singing competition by all chapters as well as Individual Talent Show.

The event will end on Sunday 7 with a combined Church Services at the Free Wesleyan Church’s Falelotu Senituli  in Nuku’alofa

Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga’s property in Sydney known as Pulela’ā gets new owner

A spokesperson for the Sant Nirankari Mission in Sydney confirmed today Tuesday 2 that they have successfully won the bid to purchase the property at 166 Glendenning Road, Glendenning, New South Wales belonged to the Tongan church of Pulela’a.

The person known only as Mr Ajay told Kaniva News they have bought the multi-million dollar church and renovation started on June 25 after signing up contract documents with the bank.

Mr Ajay could not reveal the amount of the bid when he was asked by Kaniva News saying it was confidential.

Today they have taken down the Free Wesleyan Church’s sign that erected by the road in front of the church and replaced it with their Mission’s sign, he said.

“We are just Mission and we believe that everyone is equal in God and that we have to treat everyone equally,” Mr Ajay said.

“It firmly believes that the realization of God is the real objective of human life and this can be achieved only through the benevolence of the living true master: the Satguru”.

The new deal apparently has brought an end to a confusion among members of the Free Wesleyan Church around the globe over whether the church leaders in the Tongan Sydney-based church communities were reliably giving church members correct financial reports regarding the church’s loans and debts over Pulela’a or not.

The expenses for the building of the church had been made through secured loans but regular missed payments occurred as well as more millions borrowed saw the debts snowballed to a state the church struggled to pay them back.

The loan repayments heavily dependent on only thousands of dollars donated annually by church members.

Reverend Sione Pinomi of the church reportedly told the members in 2011 that a Trust Fund registered in the Cayman Islands has donated $10 million to help with church’s loans. Later on he told the church its debts had been paid off by the Trust.

It was followed by a celebration arranged by church members to rejoice over the paying off their debts. The chairperson of the Trust, Mr Davendor Deo also known by the name David Maharaj and who was first  introduced to the church by Reverend Pinomi was invited and attended the festivity. He confirmed the church members that their loans with Westpac Bank have all been cleared off by his Trust.

Davendor Deo according to document produced by the receivership company was said to have obtained more than $50,000 dollars from the church in what was called as “facilitation fees”. The fees were paid to Mr Deo so he could be able to obtain larger amount of funds for the church, it said.

However in January 2012, the church went into voluntary administration and later on into receivership. A reliable source told Kaniva News that with the church now losing its bid to still retain the church property it also has lost all its 5 other properties around the country that were being held as security for the loan.

Kaniva News contacted Reverend Pinomi but no one answered the phone. We later on received a call from a lady by the name  Vila. She said Reverend Pinomi was at a meeting.  We left a message with her for Rev Pinomi to call us but we have not yet received any call from him.

Tonga's Fisheries Minister says he was not trying to induce voters

Tonga’s Fisheries Minister said this week he was not trying to buy votes by giving out fish to old people.

The Hon Sangstar Saulala told Parliament last week he was just trying to help people.

He said he helped the needy people in his constituency “to share what he had".

A source told Kaniva News her aunty in the village of Ha’ateiho received a plastic bag of four fish given by a man who arrived by van on June 15 and said they were from Hon Saulala.

Tevita Vaingalo, the town officer of  Ha’ateiho  told Kele’a newspaper the minister asked him for a list of elderly people in the village. There were 60 names on the list.

Ha’ateiho is one of four villages in the constituency of Tongatapu Seven where fish were handed out on June 15 and 22.

The gift to the elderly was seen by many as an attempt to woo voters in the area, especially the families and relatives of the elderly.

However, Tonga’s next parliamentary election will not be held until 2014 and online critics have asked why he would be distributing fish a year before voting took place.

Hon Saulala’s comments made after Democratic Party Leader 'Akilisi Pohiva  told the House last week about a letter he received from a man in Pangaimotu Vava’u complaining  that the last election for town and district officers was won by a candidate who had butchered a hog and distributed the meat among the villagers during the election.  

Hon Saulala was elected to Parliament in 2010 after an aggressive campaign by the Democratic Party.

Voters in  Tongatapu 7 believed he had signed a memorandum with the Party and that he would be a loyal member.

In July 2012 Hon Saulala crossed the floor to rescue the noble’s party and its leader Prime Minister Lord Tu’ivakano after a No Confidence motion by the Democratic Party.

Kaniva News was unable to obtain a comment from Hon Saulala.

American Samoans considered US nationals, but not US citizens

The 56,000 residents of American Samoa can work, travel freely and join the US army, but they are not considered citizens

The federal court in Washington DC has dismissed the citizenship lawsuit filed last July by five American Samoans and a California based organisation, whose suit asked the court to declare that all persons born in American Samoa should become US citizens.

American Samoans are today considered US nationals, but not US citizens. This means they can work, travel freely and join the US military, but they cannot vote in federal elections or attend jury duty.

Defendants in the suit were the federal government, and three US State Department officials who last year asked the court to dismiss the case.

Congressman of American Samoa, Faleomavaega Eni, supported the State Department.

On Tuesday this week, the American Samoa Government filed a motion to intervene but was dismissed yesterday by the federal court saying the issue is now moot due to the ruling in the case. 

“Although we are glad that Judge Leon recognised that ‘none of the Insular Cases directly addressed the Citizenship Clause’, we are disappointed that he was not willing to consider those century-old cases in light of more recent court decisions that explain the need to focus on American Samoa’s unique history and modern circumstances,” said local attorney Charles Alailima, according to Samoa News.

SOURCE: scoop.co.nz

Kele’a Newspaper appeals magistrate ruling of $124,721.80

The Tongan Kele’a Newspaper along with the writer to the editor, Solomone Palu fined on June 12 for defaming seven ministers of the crown including the Prime Minister have filed on June 24 at the Nuku’alofa Supreme Court an appeal against the magistrate’s decision.

The newspaper said its lawyer, Sione ‘Etika claimed the total amount of damages ruled against the defendants fell beyond the power given to a magistrate to rule accordingly which is $10,000.

Magistrate Salesi Mafi ruled in favour of the plaintiffs and ordered the Newspaper together with Mr Palu to pay damages totalling  $124,721.80.

The defendants were taken to court by the plaintiffs following a letter to the editor of the newspaper published in October 2012.

The letter referred to claims made in Parliament against the ministers accusing the law could not make it to bring them to justice.

The newspaper said the letter has been allowed for publication as the writer was protected under the rights to fair comment and qualify privilege.  

Free Wesleyan Church’s conference 2014 will be held in Vava’u

The members of the conference of the Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga have today decided to have its 91th conference in Vava’u next year.

The decision passed with 99 – 26 votes.

King Tupou VI officially opened the conference on June 27 at the Centennial Church. 

The conference re-elected Rev. Dr 'Ahio as the President of the church with Rev. Dr Tevita Havea re-elected as General Secretary. 

The annual conference will end  on Tuesday  July 2.

Jonah Lomu’s father dies

Jonah Lomu, the global superstar of rugby union will farewell his father, Semisi Lomu who has died Wednesday this week after years of battle with diabetes and kidney, liver and heart problems.

"To my dearest Father you will be missed. Words will never do. The family will miss your presence. God has you now. We love you," 38-year-old Lomu tweeted on Wednesday night.

Lomu thanked his fans online last Friday 21  for their “kind words of support” saying his dad was “comfortable as he can be and thats all we can for him".

In 2003 Lomu’s dad pleaded with the legendary All Blacks to consider joining the “World Cup fearing it could affect his recovery from a life-threatening kidney disorder”.

"The World Cup is not worth his life," Semisi Lomu told a New Zealand newspaper.

"He needs to turn his mind off rugby and the World Cup and focus solely on getting better. He's thinking too far ahead. He may getting pushed by people I don't know," he said.

Last year the former All Black Jonah Lomu told Woman’s Weekly  his dad has diabetes, kidney, liver and heart problems and  he "wasn't likely to see Christmas"

Human remains found in a village in Tonga

Police in Tonga said  they are  investigating the discovery of decomposed human remains near the sea cliff at  the village of Veitongo.

A rope hanging from a nearby tree and a briefcase  with Tongan passports and other documents were found at the scene.

An autopsy is being scheduled to determine the cause of death and possible identity.

Police believe an attempted suicide was a possibility.

The remains had been spotted by locals and reported to Police.  

Tonga Commissioner clarifies report regarding debts collected by police officers

Tongan police officers did not illegally take $400 from a woman from Ha'ateiho village, the country's police commissioner said last night.

Tonga's top policeman, Grant O'Fee, told Kaniva News the money was collected on a court issued warrant.

"It was correctly receipted by the staff and banked appropriately," O'Fee  said.

The Commissioner's comments come after Tongan newspaper Kele'a reported that Maiolo Vakalahi of Ha'ateiho village had paid two policemen $400 in traffic fines for offences dating back to 2011.

The story uncovered a dispute over whether Vakalahi had ever been to court and what appears to be confusion over who had the right to collect fines.

Vakalahi claimed she had never been issued with any traffic infringement notices and had never appeared in court on such charges.

However, Kele'a claimed court records in Nuku'alofa showed she had appeared in court in 2011 charged with traffic infringements.

Vakalahi told the paper the police officers had told her to pay the money or she would be arrested.

O'Fee initially told Kele'a that he was unaware of the incident and that court fines were normally collected by the bailiff.

Bailiffs had been under the control of the Ministry of Police, but the law had changed and they now operated from their own office in Fasi mo e Afi.

Tonga's Attorney General, 'Aminiasi Kefu told Kaniva News that payments fines for drunk driving or speeding were supposed to be made to the Magistrate's Court.

The police were not authorised to collect fines, Kefu said.

CEO ‘Emeline Tuita’s role with Tonga Rugby Union terminated

Tonga Rugby Union (TRU) reportedly decided on June 21 to terminate ‘Emeline Tuita's  probation period with the union and to be effective immediately.

TRU in its resolution to cease Tuita's probationary term said her recruitment did not follow the proper procedure.

Fuka Kitekei’aho, one of the TRU members  was appointed by the board as an interim CEO.

A source told Kaniva News  ‘Epeli Taione warned the meeting of any legal action taken byTuita against the union due to her termination but members did not agree saying there was no employment contract signed between TRU and Tuita.

Ten board members attended the meeting last Friday were Soape Tu'iono, Uate Halatoafa (Tongatapu), Manu Vunipola (Kolomotu'a, Fuka Kitekei'aho (Vaheloto), Tevita Lavemai (Hahake), Filokalafi 'Akau'ola (for Kaitu'u Fotu -Kolofo'ou). Soakai Motu'apuaka, Latiume Kaufusi (Ha'apai), 'Isileli Fakatulolo (Vava'u), Viliami Lutua (Ex-Ikale Tahi) and chairperson, ‘Epeli Taione.

The resolution against Tuita was passed with 7 – 2 votes.

TRU selected Tuita as its Chief Executive Officer in January this year and it was said that she would be in the position on probationary period for 12 months.

Kaniva sent messages to both President Taione and CEO Tuita seeking comments but no responses received yet.