A routine late‑night patrol in Millwater led to significant drug‑related charges after Police stopped a suspicious vehicle shortly before midnight on Monday.
Senior Sergeant Carl Fowlie, Waitematā North Area Response Manager, said officers were conducting proactive patrols in the North Auckland suburb when they noticed a vehicle behaving suspiciously.
“Once stopped, officers approached the vehicle and spotted a bong on the floor,” he said.
Police then conducted a full search of the vehicle, uncovering a substantial haul of illegal drugs and cash. The items seized included:
14.5 grams of methamphetamine
14 grams of cocaine
55 grams of cannabis
44 LSD tabs
A tick book
Approximately $5400 in cash
Senior Sergeant Fowlie praised the officers for their attentiveness during what began as routine patrol duties.
“This was a great find by our staff, who were simply out conducting proactive patrols during their shift,” he said. “We are pleased to have been able to remove these items from circulation and the potential harm they could have caused in the community.”
A 19‑year‑old man is set to appear in the North Shore District Court today, facing multiple charges including:
Possession for supply of cannabis
Possession for supply of methamphetamine
Possession for supply of LSD
Possession of drug utensils
Police say enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the incident remain ongoing.
Former Kiwi rugby league star Matt Utai is in hospital in a serious condition after being shot multiple times in a drive‑by attack in Sydney early this morning.
Emergency services were called to Macquarie Street in Greenacre at around 6am following reports of gunfire, local media reported.
Police said the 44‑year‑old was shot outside a home by the occupants of a passing SUV, which immediately fled the scene.
Paramedics treated Utai at the location before rushing him to hospital with multiple gunshot wounds.
A short time later, police were alerted to a vehicle fire on Samuel Street in Wiley Park, about two kilometres from the shooting.
Officers located an SUV engulfed in flames and believe the vehicle is linked to the attack.
Crime scenes have been established at both locations by detectives from the Bankstown Police Area Command.
Utai, who was born in Auckland and represented both New Zealand and Samoa during his rugby league career, played for the Canterbury‑Bankstown Bulldogs and later the Wests Tigers.
Media reports confirm he is the victim in the shooting, though police have not formally released his name.
Authorities are continuing their investigation and have urged anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers.
Auckland, NZ — A 43‑year‑old man has been charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition as police continue to investigate last month’s shooting in Onehunga.
Firearm and ammunition recovered by Police during a search warrant executed as part of the Onehunga shooting investigation. Photo/NZ Police
The charge follows ongoing inquiries by the Auckland City Organised Crime Unit into the incident, which occurred on Arthur Street on 16 January 2026.
As part of the investigation, officers executed a search warrant at a Māngere property on Friday, Detective Senior Sergeant Matt Bunce confirmed.
“Our detectives were supported by the Armed Offenders Squad, and we have recovered a shotgun and ammunition,” he said.
“At this stage we are unable to confirm whether this firearm was involved in the original offending.”
A 43‑year‑old man has since been charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition. He appeared in the Auckland District Court over the weekend.
“We have no tolerance for blatant violence involving firearms in our community,” Detective Senior Sergeant Bunce said.
“While we cannot share further details of the ongoing work, a dedicated investigative team is focused on holding those involved accountable for what happened that day.”
Police continue to urge anyone with information to come forward.
People can contact Police via the online update form or by calling 105 and quoting the reference 260116/9278. Information can also be provided anonymously through Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.
After being charged during a period when Ponzi schemes plunged the Tongan community into financial turmoil, Tilila Siola’a Walker has resurfaced online promoting another money-making scheme.
Tilila Siola’a Walker, who faces fraud‑related charges in the United States, has re‑emerged online promoting a new scheme. Photo/Screenshot
The 63-year-old who was charged in 2023 with wire fraud, mail fraud, securities fraud and the sale of unregistered securities, has begun circulating promotional material for the so‑called “BG Wealth Sharing” programme.
Walker’s U.S. case remains before the courts, with no public record indicating a conviction to date.
Regulators Raise Alarm
In a recent joint statement, financial regulators in Tonga and New Zealand formally labelled BG Wealth/DSJ EX as a scam.
The authorities said the operation — currently promoted under the names BG Wealth and DSJ EX — is connected to a wider Ponzi‑style network known as TXEX, which relies on multi‑level marketing‑type recruitment tactics.
The regulators noted that the Financial Markets Authority has now identified 813 websites and 30 associated entities connected to the scheme, many of which were found to be duplicates used to attract new investors.
March Launch Announced
In a Facebook post last week, Walker told her followers that beginning in March 2026, her Facebook group “Global” would provide guidance on how to use the BG Wealth Sharing scheme, saying the platform would teach members how to participate.
In a separate post, Walker claimed the number of people expected to join her in the new scheme would be far greater than those involved in Stockton in the last five years, referring to her former Stockton office, where she previously recruited about 1,000 people who prosecutors say became victims of her Tongi Tupe operation.
Walker posted step‑by‑step instructions on how to join the scheme and urged her followers to sign up, describing it as an opportunity for quick financial returns.
Her posts have raised fresh concerns among community members, given the serious charges she continues to face overseas and the growing number of online scams targeting Pacific communities.
Tongi Tupe Promises
According to information filed in a U.S. federal court, prosecutors allege that between January and October 2021, Tilila Siola’a Walker—also known as Walker Sumchai—ran an investment scheme from an office in Stockton, California, targeting members of the Tongan community in the United States, Australia and New Zealand.
Authorities say she told potential investors that she had access to a special algorithm capable of generating fast, substantial profits. Investors were reportedly encouraged to put money into what she called the “Tongi Tupe” investment programme, with promises that their principal would be returned along with thousands of dollars in profit within a short period.
Prosecutors also allege that Walker claimed that a US$30,000 contribution would qualify an investor for a house in Lodi valued at about US$480,000 within just a few months. Instead of investing the funds as promised, investigators say she used the money for personal spending, including gambling, and used some of the incoming funds to pay earlier investors in an apparent attempt to keep the scheme afloat.
Court documents state that more than 1,000 people handed over a total of more than US$13 million as part of the alleged operation.
Federal Warnings Issued
Authorities in the United States have also issued multiple warnings about the BG Wealth Sharing scheme, with complaints and investigations reported across several states.
Regulators in California have linked the operation to the Rancho Cordova area, while Washington State’s Department of Financial Institutions has received complaints about scammers impersonating legitimate financial firms.
The FBI has opened related cryptocurrency‑fraud investigations in Arizona and Idaho and has taken federal action to seize funds tied to these schemes.
The scam typically operates through WhatsApp, Telegram and Viber groups, using forged U.S. incorporation documents and fake SEC credentials to pose as investment mentors.
Investigators describe it as a Ponzi‑style “pig‑butchering” operation that initially allows small withdrawals before blocking investor accounts and demanding extra payments.
Regulators continue to urge the public to exercise extreme caution, warning that schemes such as BG Wealth Sharing often rebrand and resurface through familiar figures despite repeated enforcement actions.
Tonga’s representative, Siosi‘ana Patricia Lavulo Taumoepeau, delivered a standout performance at the Miss Pacific Islands Pageant, securing the Third Runner‑Up title in a highly competitive field of regional contestants.
Miss Siosi’ana Patricia Lavulo Taumoepeau. Photo/Miss Pacific Islands Pageant
Taumoepeau, who also holds the Miss Heilala 2026 crown, added further accolades to her pageant journey by winning Best Sarong and the Miss Tourism award — recognitions that drew strong applause from the audience and support from Tongan fans across the region.
The prestigious title of Miss Pacific Islands 2026 went to 19‑year‑old Miss Fiji, Ailava Samuel, who becomes the fourth Fijian woman to win the regional crown, following Anne Dunn’s victory in 2016.
Her win was celebrated widely among Fijian supporters both at the venue and online.
Miss Papua New Guinea, Iampela Popena, was named First Runner‑Up. She also collected two major awards: Best Traditional Wear and Miss Internet, reflecting both her cultural presentation and strong online support.
Miss Samoa, Iliganoa Feagaimali‘i Soti, secured the Second Runner‑Up position with a confident performance across the judged categories, while Miss Cook Islands, Petra Mataiti, placed Fourth Runner‑Up and walked away with Best Talent and Miss Photogenic.
Meanwhile, Kiribati’s Atiterentaai Rinimarawa took home the Miss Personality award, receiving warm recognition for her charisma and rapport throughout the pageant week.
The results mark another successful year for the Miss Pacific Islands Pageant, showcasing the region’s culture, talent, and growing pool of young female leaders.
A man was found dead in his vehicle after it was submerged by floodwaters as the Waikato region was lashed by rain overnight.
Damage to a bridge on State Highway 39. (Source: Wayne Feisst)
A member of the public called emergency services, alerting them to the submerged car on State Highway 39 near the intersection with Kiwi Road at Puketotara at around 9.15pm on Friday.
“Sadly, one person was located deceased inside the vehicle,” police said.
SH 39 remains closed, and anyone travelling to Waikato was urged to take care and not cross flooded roads.
The vehicle was found south of Ōtorohanga, which is under a state of emergency after being lashed by heavy rain.
Ōtorohanga Mayor Rodney Dow acknowledged the “tragic loss of life” within the district last night.
“This is devastating news for our community. Right now, our focus is on supporting those affected by the widespread flooding, as well as emergency workers and support agencies who are also helping,” he said.
“To the whānau, we extend aroha, love and heartfelt condolences during this incredibly difficult time.”
It comes as a tropical low hits much of the north and east of the North Island.
Orange heavy rain warnings were in place for the Bay of Plenty, east of Ōpōtiki, and Gisborne.
Heavy rain watches were in place for Waikato south of Hamilton, Waitomo, and Hawke’s Bay. A severe thunderstorm watch was in place for Coromandel Peninsula, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Rotorua, Taupo, Gisborne.
Dozens of roads have been closed due to storm damage and floods.
As the Miss Pacific Islands Pageant moves closer to announcing the 2026 winner, supporters from across the Pacific have intensified their online promotion, doing everything they can to back their contestants.
Seven contestants are vying for the crown this year, representing the Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa and Tonga.
One of the ways Tongan supporters are showing their backing for Miss Siosiana is by sharing photos of her with her mother, Anita Roberts, who held the Miss Heilala title in 1997.
“Did you know our beautiful Miss Heilala 2025–2026, Siosiana Patricia Lavulo Taumoepeau, is the daughter of Anita Roberts, who was crowned Miss Heilala in 1997?” one Facebook post stated.
“Beautiful Miss Heilala 1997, Anita Roberts, mother of our reigning Miss Heilala 2025, is truly stunning,” one responder wrote.
Based on the main activities tracked during the competition so far, Miss Papua New Guinea Iampela Popena currently leads the popular vote by a wide margin, securing around 70,000 votes. She is followed by Miss Taumoepeau, who has garnered approximately 40,000 votes.
The popular vote, cast online by members of the public, does not count toward the official judging score for the crown.
Miss Tonga 2025, Rachael Guttenbeil, won the Miss Popularity award last year, prompting many to question why Tongan votes have dropped so sharply this time.
As Kaniva News previously reported, Tongan supporters made it clear from the outset that they would withhold their votes this year in protest, after the pageant committee failed to resolve allegations that last year’s results were rigged.
According to reports, supporters have alleged that Miss Guttenbeil should have won the 2025 beauty contest, claiming the pageant’s chief judge, Mr Leiataualesa Jerry Brunt, tampered with the scorecards to award the crown to the Samoa contestant, Litara ieremia allan.
Organisers of the Pacific Islands Pageant reportedly said they have overhauled their judging system after last year’s rigging allegations, unveiling stricter scoring checks and independent oversight.
A Wellington woman has been sentenced to 20 months in prison after she used her own name and those of 10 others, including dead people, to fraudulently obtain $28,118 through the Covid-19 Wage Subsidy Scheme.
Sariah Wehipeihana pleaded guilty in January last year to two representative charges of dishonestly using a document related to five successful wage subsidy applications and a further 27 unsuccessful applications.
She was sentenced at Auckland District Court on February 5.
All the applications were submitted between April and June 2020.
She used her own name and the names of 10 others in the applications.
This included individuals unaware their identifies were being used, and in some cases, the names of dead people.
The successful applications resulted in a total of $28,118.40 being paid into bank accounts controlled by Wehipeihana, with the funds then used for personal expenses, including shopping and online gambling.
A reparation order was sought, but no repayments had been made to date.
The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) said 56 people had now been sentenced in wage subsidy fraud cases, with another 48 still before the courts. More than $830 million in wage subsidies had been repaid since the scheme began.