Home Blog Page 780

Police probe launched after decomposed body found in Lapaha

Police have launched an investigation following the discovery of a man’s decomposed body, they said today.

“The body was found by a member of the public in an unused bush allotment in Lapaha and notified the Police at approximately 12:30 this afternoon,” Police said.

The man, believed to be in his 40s, has “black hair and spots of grey”.

The deceased wears  “Dickies black shorts and a white or cream Aloha shirt with green pictures of fishes, palm leaves and wine glasses. He is approximately 5 feet 9 inches in height”.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police, Deputy Commissioner Pelenatita Vaisuai said.

Contacts could be made to the nearest Police Station, or 32133, 7738944 or the Tonga Police Emergency Number, 922.

King to open new Tupou College Centre in Sydney’s Newington College

His Majesty King Tupou VI and Queen Nanasipauʻu will visit Sydney to open the Newington College’s newest learning facility – The Tupou College Centre, on Monday, July 18, 2016.

A statement from Newington College said: “The new centre, which will house specialist teaching spaces, a new theatre and the College’s new health centre, has been named in recognition of the long and close historical links between the Newington College and the Kingdom of Tonga”.

Tupou College, a boys’ secondary boarding school in Toloa on the island of Tongatapu, Tonga, is the brother school of Newington College.

Both educational institutions were established by Rev Egan Moulton, a nineteenth century Wesleyan Methodist minister who, after helping to establish Newington in 1863, sailed to Tonga two years later in order to set up a similar College on the Island.

Tupou College remains the oldest secondary school in the Pacific Islands and celebrated its Sesquicentenary this year.

Newington College boys have been visiting their Tongan brothers since 1972 and in recent years, these trips have involved community support, volunteer work and outreach projects through the College’s Service Learning Program.

This has allowed students to contribute to the Tupou College community and experience Tongan culture firsthand. Equally, Newington boasts a rich history of educating Tongan students and in 2009 the College set up a Tongan Bursary scheme which aims to support Tongan students in obtaining qualifications at high school level and beyond.

Most notably, the College has a proud history of educating members of the Tongan Royal family, including the father of His Majesty King Tupou VI, His late Majesty King Tupou IV.

Newington’s Head Master Dr David Mulford said he is, “thrilled and hugely honoured that His Majesty King Tupou VI has agreed to conduct the opening ceremony and we look forward to welcoming His Majesty along with Her Majesty Queen Nanasipau’u of Tonga and the Tongan High Commissioner in Canberra, Princess Angelika Latufuipeka, who is the King and Queen’s daughter.”

The opening ceremony will take place on Monday 18 July 2016 and promises to be another milestone in the long and interrelated history of Newington College, Tupou College and the Kingdom of Tonga.

ʻIkaletahi capitain Nili Lātū sidelined for up to four months after knee surgery

ʻIkaletahi captain Nili Lātū, who skippered Tonga at last year’s World Cup, has undergone knee surgery and expects to be fully recovered in about four months.

The 34-year-old was injured during Tonga’s Pacific Nations Cup campaign last month.

He told Kaniva News the surgery went well and he will now be concentrating on his rehabilitation.

He said his doctor hopes he would be fully recovered before he could return to the field in November, two months after his Newcastle team begin their Premiership campaign at home against Sale Sharks on September 2.

“Nili suffered knee ligament damage playing in Tonga’s last Pacific Nations Cup game, and was operated on yesterday,” Newcastle rugby director Dean Richards told the club’s official website.

“Obviously it is a disappointing blow to lose a player of Nili’s quality for that length of time, but at the same time it is an opportunity for other guys.

“We have a lot of players coming through – Harrison Orr has joined us and made a very good first impression – but with David Tameilau not yet here from America, there is no denying it has left us a little bit short in the back-row.”

Election of women in local elections paves way for more female MPs says Salesa

The election of two women in Tonga in last month’s town and district officer elections has paved the way for more women to enter the Tongan Parliament, according to New Zealand MP Jenny Salesa.

Salesa became the first Tongan speaking woman elected to the New Zealand Parliament in 2014.

Sisifa Fili became the first woman from ‘Eua to be elected to the role of District Officer, while Vika Kaufusi was elected as Town Officer for Haveluloto.

Four women candidates who came second in the election were entitled to take the roles of Acting District and Acting Town Officers.

They were Loisi Halaliku, Hihifo District , Vava’u; Vinolia Save, Town Officer, Ha’alalo; Melesila Weilert, Town Officer, Ha’atafu and Valamotu Taufa, Town Officer, Matamaka Vava’u

Salesa said the results were “interesting” and that it had energised her mission to encourage more Tongan women in politics.

She has made public speeches in Tonga in the past encouraging women to stand for elections especially during the kingdom’s last general and local government elections.

Salesa said it was time Tonga supported its women.

She said the election of Fili “was historic.”

She said she grew up in Haveluloto and knew Kaufusi personally.

Salesa said that on one occasion while she was in Tonga she was invited to a meeting arranged to support women to stand in the local government elections.

She said she was interested in a speech by Kaufusi who she said that while her husband was bedridden it was she who attended most of the meetings called for town officers.

Kaufusi said she learned almost everything about the position since her husband had been the town officer for the village for quite a while, according to Salesa.

Salesa said she was unhappy when she learned a woman candidate from Vava’u failed just by few votes in the election.

“It is important for whichever woman is running for election to convince voters to vote for them,” she said.

“We can tell from the results of this town and district officers that we can do it,” Salesa said.

She said she was aware that some women in Tonga thought that women did not have a place in politics.

“That’s one of the barriers,” Salesa said.

“It’s time for us to say that women can do it.”

Salesa said it had been for a long time since the first five women made it into Parliament.

“I would like to wish Vika  and Sisifa all the very best for their future in Tonga’s politics,” she said.

Salesa said she would continue encouraging the women who ran unsuccessfully in the last general election.

“It is really tough and challenging getting into politics as woman,” she said.

Salesa said the right of women to get involved in politics had been recognised globally.

“Look at Germany. Its president is a woman, Angela Dorothea Merkel.

“The UK is going to confirm Theresa May as their new Prime Minister.

“In the United States there is a possibility that Hilary Clinton could become their President”.

“New Zealand’s former Prime Minister Helen Clerk is the best candidate for the post of General Secretary of the United Nations.

“Why not us?”

The main points

  • The election of two women in Tonga in last month’s town and district officer elections has paved the way for more women to enter the Tongan Parliament, according to New Zealand MP Jenny Salesa.
  • Sisifa Fili became the first woman from ‘Eua to be elected to the role of District Officer, while Vika Kaufusi was elected as Town Officer for Haveluloto.
  • Four women candidates who came second in the election were entitled to take the roles of Acting District and Acting Town Officers.
  • Salesa said the results had energised her mission to encourage more Tongan women in politics.

For more information

Tongan women pioneers will face pressure

13 women candidates standing for Tonga’s local government election (Kaniva News)

Police crackdown on smoking in public places

Months passed since Tonga has its new laws to ban smoking in some of the public places became effective the authority said they started cracking the whip on smokers who refused to obey.

“It is illegal to smoke in schools, church grounds, workplaces, restaurants, bars, sport venues, health centres, on buses, at the airport, anywhere kava is served, in work vehicles and on vessels such as ferries,” a Ministry of Health statement says.

All these areas must display ‘No smoking’ signs in Tongan and English.

“The Tongan Police Force and the Ministry of Health is (sic) coming down hard on those who break anti-tobacco laws,” the statement says.

The Tongan Police and the Ministry of Health Tobacco Enforcement Officers have issued more than 45 fines just last month, it says.

This included on-the-spot fines of $100 to individuals who were smoking in prohibited places and $200 on-the-spot fines for venue managers who failed to enforce no-smoking or to display ‘no smoking’ or ‘smoking kills’ signage.

The Government is serious about its smoking ban law, it says.

“Our enforcement blitz will be continuing with an especially strong focus on kava halls and church facilities”.

Quit smoking

Tonga’s new ‘Quitline’ service is proving extremely popular.  The service, which is just over a month old, is providing ongoing support to over 120 smokers who have made the potentially life-saving decision to Quit smoking.

Tupou Tu’ilautala supervises the Quitline and says there are some common reasons people want to Quit.

“The families of people who smoke are more likely to live in poverty.  Smoking a pack a day costs $3,400TOP a year and a lot of people are beginning to realise that they want to use that money for their family. Also, many of the people I have spoken to want to stop smoking because they don’t want their kids to aspire to smoking – they know they are role modelling a behaviour that kills”. 

Mr Tu’ilautala went on to say “People who quit pretty quickly start to see a change in their energy, how they smell, the money they have spare – quitting can be hard, but we are here to help and we want people to know that anyone can quit if they really want to”.

The 0800 333 Quitline is completely free and is staffed by trained Ministry of Health staff who offer free advice and non-judgmental support to quit smoking. 

NZ Chief of Navy visits Tonga

New Zealand Chief of Navy, Rear Admiral John Martin, is in Tonga this week for a bilateral visit.

While in Tonga, he will be meeting with Their Majesties King Tupou VI and Queen Nanasipau’u, Brigadier Fielakepa, Chief of Defence Staff of His Majesty’s Armed Forces, Minister of Defence Lord Ma’afu, and senior officers of His Majesty’s Armed Forces.  He will also tour Masefield Navy base and Taliai Army camp.

“Tonga is one of New Zealand’s longest and closest defence relationships, dating back to the First World War, and it is great to be able to visit and discuss the ongoing relationship with His Majesty King Tupou VI, Brigadier Fielakepa and their staff,” Rear Admiral Martin said.  “Our Forces have served alongside each other in peace time and at war.  In fact, our two Forces are serving alongside each other right now in Ha’apai for Exercise Tropic Twilight.”

Chief of Defence Staff of His Majesty’s Armed Forces (HMAF), Brigadier Fielakepa, said “the New Zealand Defence Force relationship with HMAF is the oldest defence relationship between Tonga and another country. We remember the sacrifice by New Zealand Defence Force members alongside our own.  Masefield Naval Base is named after Lieutenant Masefield of the New Zealand Defence Force who commanded the 1st Tongan Commando in the Solomon Islands. Taliai Camp is named after Lt Taliai of the same 1st Tongan Commando.  Both officers were killed in action in the Solomon Campaign during WWII.”

NZ Chief
New Zealand Chief of Navy, Rear Admiral John Martin

“Last week, the New Zealand Defence Force deployed alongside HMAF and other defence partners to Ha’apai for Exercise Tropic Twilight. This is a humanitarian assistance and disaster relief exercise providing medical personnel and assistance to the civil communities.  Tropic Twilight is not only benefitting HMAF with experiences working alongside our defence partners but also the people of Ha’apai who will benefit from the professional services provided by our defence partners.”

The New Zealand Chief of Navy’s visit is part of a busy schedule of defence activities in Tonga this year.  The New Zealand Chief of Army visited in March and met with Brigadier Fielakepa and Minister of Defence Lord Ma’afu.  In addition to Exercise Tropic Twilight which is involving defence forces from Tonga, the United States, China and France, HMNZS Otago is in Nuku’alofa this week for a port visit.

Government declares new pay scales in place, but PSA wants king to delay process

The Tongan government has declared that the new pay scales for public servants is in place, but government workers are calling on the king to intervene and delay the process.

The government declared last Friday that the new structure, which covers all public servants and publicly paid positions, would come in to effect this Wednesday.

However, the Public Service Association says worker’s grievances and concerns had not been considered.

PSA Mele ‘Amanaki Secretary General said her members’ grievances needed to be addressed before implementing the new salary scales.

“There is no harm in postponing the new salary scales and addressing the grievances first,” she said.

“We have pledged to the people that we will not go on strike and will use the Constitution and law if negotiation with Government fails.”

The last attempt to revise the public service salary structure ended in a strike by PSA members and civil unrest.

‘Amanaki has written to Prime Minister ‘Akilisi Pohiva claiming that some Ministers were intimidating PSA members in an attempt to stop them assigning a petition to the king asking for the new pay scales to be delayed.

But the Remuneration Authority, which oversaw the reassessment of pay scales, is adamant that the change is in place.

It said salaries would be paid to the kingdom’s 5054 public servants under the new scheme from the start of the new financial year on July 13.

The Authority said nobody’s salary had been cut.

Nearly all positions under the Public Service Commission were moved into a new salary band with a higher maximum salary point.

Salary increases would now be based on annual performance reviews. There will no longer be automatic pay rises.

A total of 561 positions at the bottom of the public service, had been moved to a new minimum salary of $6,720 and $7,560 per annum.

The Remuneration Authority said that during its consultation process it had received 821 individual requests, mainly from medical staff, who felt they were not being paid enough for the work they were doing and/or should have their job description re-evaluated.

However, only 137 of these requests were successful.

The Prime Minister and Ministerial salaries have been maintained at their current level.

The main points

  • The Tongan government has declared that the new pay scales for public servants is in place, but government workers are calling on the king to intervene and delay the process.
  • The government declared last Friday that the new structure, which covers all public servants and publicly paid positions, would come in to effect this Wednesday.
  • However, the Public Service Association says worker’s grievances and concerns had not been considered.
  • The Remuneration Authority said salaries would be paid to the kingdom’s 5054 public servants under the new scheme from the start of the new financial year on July 13.

For more information

PSA and authority clash over claims office cleaners will be paid more than public servants

Fasimoeafi man charged with reckless driving causing death

A 24-year-old Fasimoeafi man has been charged with reckless driving causing death in connection with an accident in Pea last Saturday.

22-year-old ‘Unaloto ‘Eli from Ha’ateiho died after the accused’s car allegedly struck him on Taufa’ahau Rd at about 4.10am.

Police Communication Officer Telesia Adams said the car headed westbound on Taufaʻāhau Rd when it allegedly hit the victim.

US husband charged with wife’s death in Vavaʻu appears in court

UPDATED 4:21pm July 11: The husband of a woman who was found dead in a yacht in Vavaʻu on July 7 has appeared before Magistrate Paula Tatafu in the Neiafu district court this morning.

The 54-year-old man from Florida, United States has been charged with the manslaugher of his 56-year-old Canadian wife.

The accused remains in Police custody. Police have also seized and impounded the yacht, the Sea Oak.

Vavaʻu Police Superintendent Netane Falakiseni told Kaniva News this morning Police arrested the man after an autopsy established the deceased had suffered what appeared to be severe bruising to her body.

Earlier reports said the husband told Police he found her wife dead when he went to wake her up on Thursday.

Falakiseni said the woman’s body is now being kept at Ngu Hospital for further post mortems today.

The couple arrived in Neiafu on May 26.

While in Vavaʻu they were staying in their yacht and were expected to depart Tonga next month on August 21.

Vavaʻu man charged with alleged sexual assault of underage girl in Kolonga

A Vavaʻu man faces charges accusing him of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl in Kolonga on Wednesday.

Police Senior Detective  Semi Veʻehala has confirmed this to Kaniva News this afternoon.

Veʻehala released no other details about the charges because of the sensitive nature of the case.

He said a Police investigation continues and more information would be released soon.

The name of the girl could not be published because of her age.

Meanwhile a highly emotional video showing the moment the victim’s father was desperate after he was told about the alleged sexual assault against his daugther has been posted to Facebook.

“I wish that you could see what’s really in my heart and how I love my daughter”, the father sobbed out his grief at his daugther’s attacker, in Tongan.

Kaniva News has learnt the accused and his family moved to Kolonga in December 2015.