Home Blog Page 424

Facebook to restrict sharing or viewing Australian and international news content

ABC via RNZ news

Facebook will restrict publishers and people in Australia from sharing or viewing Australian and international news content.

Facebook app on iPhone.

Photo: 123rf

The announcement comes in response to proposed new laws in Australia that would force tech companies to negotiate with media companies over how much to pay them for news content.

The move would also prevent people overseas sharing Australian content on the social media site.

Facebook said the law fundamentally misunderstood the relationship between their platform and publishers who use it to share news content.

It said it faced the stark choice between attempting to comply with a law, or banning news content on its services in Australia – and “with a heavy heart” it was choosing the latter.

The move came a day after Nine and Seven West Media reportedly made multi-million-dollar deals with Google for use of content.

“We understand many will ask why the platforms may respond differently,” the Facebook statement said.

“The answer is because our platforms have fundamentally different relationships with news.

“Google Search is inextricably intertwined with news and publishers do not voluntarily provide their content.”

The social media giant said it had explained for months that “the value exchange between Facebook and publishers runs in favour of the publishers – which is the reverse of what the legislation would require the arbitrator to assume”.

“Last year Facebook generated approximately 5.1 billion free referrals to Australian publishers worth an estimated AU$407 million.”

The company said what it gained from news content was “minimal”, and made up about 4 per cent of what people saw in their newsfeed.

– ABC 

Pasifika leaders in South Auckland reassure constituents

This RNZ story is republished with permission

A government MP in South Auckland is calling on constituents to be kind and compassionate following the latest community outbreak of Covid-19 in the area.

No caption
Jenny Salesa Photo: RNZ Pacific / Sela Jane Hopgood

Three cases of coronavirus were confirmed over the weekend, plunging Auckland into Level 3 lockdown and the rest of New Zealand into Level 2 until midnight Wednesday, 17 February.

Panmure-Otahuhu’s Labour MP Jenny Salesa is reminding constituents that they defeated the virus last year by pulling together.

She wants to avoid any bullying or harrassment of sufferers.

“Targeting those particular families. And so, it was really just a reminder to our people in South Auckland that we have addressed Covid-19 successfully in the past,” said Salesa.

“We’ve done it collectively and together by uniting to fight against this virus, a very tricky virus, but that we can do it best when we’re kind and compassionate with each other.”

Meanwhile, an Auckland city councillor says Pasifika people in his Manukau Ward are often front-line workers who may be concerned about job security in the latest outbreak.

Many people lost their jobs in the area following last August’s community cases, said Fa’anana Efeso Collins.

Social services, union representatives and Community Law are working to help people gain confidence and knowledge with employment issues, he added.

“Our people are often the essential workers and a lot of them feel disempowered in their work places,” said Fa’anana.

“So it’s important those of us who are community leaders and involved in employment issues are able to stand alongside them and give them the necessary encouragement that they’ll need to be able to raise issues with employers.”

Otara Health chairperson Efeso Collins.
Fa’anana Efeso Collins Photo: RNZ / Jessie Chiang

Live: Lockdown is lifted! Auckland moves to alert level 2 at midnight tonight, rest of NZ to level 1

This RNZ story is republished with permission

Auckland and wider New Zealand will drop one level each – to levels 2 and 1 respectively – from midnight tonight, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced.

There is one exception to the alert levels: Papatoetoe High School. Students and their families are being asked to stay home, and return a negative Covid-19 test before returning to school on Monday.

“As ever, if you are sick, please stay home,” Ardern said. “This continues to be one of our most important restrictions.”

She said Cabinet will review the alert levels again on Monday.

“There is every chance we will find further cases.

Auckland went into alert level 3 and the rest of the country to level 2 at midnight on Monday morning after three community cases in South Auckland were found over the weekend.

Two more cases of Covid-19 in the community were reported today, both of them students at Papatoetoe High School. School principal Vaughan Couillault confirmed they were siblings, and one was a classmate of the existing case.

Dr Bloomfield has said a further member of those students’ household has also tested positive since then.

Cases D and E – the siblings reported earlier today – were not infectious when they were at school, Bloomfield said.

Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins told the Health Select Committee today it was still too soon to say what impact the new cases would have on Cabinet’s alert level decision this afternoon.

Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told the select committee the siblings were isolating already as they were classed as a close contact and casual-plus contact.

This afternoon he said we should be encouraged that all five of the community cases remained in a tight formation with clear epidemiological links.

He said testing of the household contacts would take place and exposure events would be looked at. People linked to any exposure event would also be asked to isolate.

He said family members for the two siblings were also isolating.

Dr Bloomfield has noted that health appointments are essential and has advised anyone with an appointment in Auckland to ensure they go.

Live: Alert levels decision with Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, Dr Ashley Bloomfield

This RNZ.co.nz story is republished with permission

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is speaking at a briefing after a Cabinet meeting to discuss the alert level settings.

Auckland went into alert level 3 and the rest of the country to level 2 at midnight on Monday morning after three community cases in South Auckland were found over the weekend.

Two more cases of Covid-19 in the community were reported today, both of them students at Papatoetoe High School.

School principal Vaughan Couillault confirmed they were siblings, and one was a classmate of the existing case.

Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins told the Health Select Committee today it was still too soon to say what impact the new cases would have on Cabinet’s alert level decision this afternoon.

Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told the select committee the siblings were isolating already as they were classed as a close contact and casual-plus contact.

He said testing of the household contacts would take place and exposure events would be looked at. People linked to any exposure event would also be asked to isolate.

He said family members for the two siblings were also isolating.

Covid-19: two new cases found

This RNZ.co.nz story is republished with permission

Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins says there are two new cases in the community – both are students at Papatoetoe High School.

The news comes as Cabinet are deciding whether to lift Auckland out of the level 3 lockdown and the rest of the country out of level 2.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is expected to make the announcement at 4.30pm.

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield told the Health Select Committee this afternoon that one of the new Covid-19 cases was a classmate of the original case.

He said the case was being treated as a close contact and was isolating, as were their family members.

“Her brother, who also tested positive, is categorised as a casual-plus contact because he’s student at the school.

“But in this case it’s most likely that the chain of transmission is from our original case to her classmate, who’s then passed it on to her brother.”

Dr Bloomfield said they’ll be looking very carefully at whether there were any other positive tests coming out of the high school.

“So far two thirds of them, over 1000, have been negative which is encouraging,” he said.

 

Tongan returnee in isolation at Tanoa hotel denied chance to see dead wife

The family of a returnee in managed isolation who was denied exemptions to see his deceased wife said they accepted the decision.

‘Anau Ki he Sina Pateta Fakena. Photo/Facebook

Alatini Fakena was one of more than dozen returnees and Tongan applicants in overseas countries who have been denied seeing their dead loved ones since the kingdom went into lockdown since March 2020.

The rejection of his compassionate exemption application was reported by Radio FM 89.5 this morning.

 

 The broadcaster quoted Ministry of Health Deputy CEO  Dr Reynold Ofanoa saying the decision to decline the application was made after thoughtful considerations.

As Kaniva News reported last week, ‘Alatini, who was currently being isolated at the Tanoa Hotel after arriving from New Zealand, has pleaded with authorities to allow him see his deceased wife. 

Meanwhile, a status posted to ‘Alatini’s Facebook page which appears to have come from a family member said they accepted the decision by the authority.

It said they did not want the community to perceive ‘Alatini as a person who is posing a public health safety risk.

“And no — we don’t need anyone to say anything about the MOH and all essential workers about this matter . We would not want Alatini to come out and to be labeled as a “coronavirus carrier” or later pronounced as a positive case !” the post said.

‘Ānau Ki he Sina Fakena passed away peacefully at Vaiola Hospital on Thursday 11.

She is survived by her husband ‘Alatini and their three children.

Gov’t stops controversial road construction works in Ha‘apai citing ‘needs to complete’ deal agreements with contractor

The Tu’i’onetoa government has stopped its new road construction contractor in Ha’apai from doing any further works there saying there was an issue with the deal before the company took up the jobs.

Sione Foaki Fifita (L) and Minister of Finance Tēvita Lavemaau. Photos/Kaniva Tonga

The Minister of Finance has confirmed this to Kaniva News this morning.

He did not respond to one of our questions asking him whether it was true the project will be rebid.

Hon Tēvita Lavemaau said the contractor Sione Foaki Fifita began working on the project late last year but it has now been ordered to stop.

The Minister said in Tongan: “’Oku kei tuu ngaue i he taimi ni kae oua ke fakakakato ae ngaahi fiemau koia ke fatu aki ae Contract Ngaue pea mo Foaki”.

In English this means: “The work is currently being on hold until the requirements needed to write up the contract with Foaki are completed.”

READ MORE:

The road work deal was part of the Prime Minister’s multimillion budget announced to build new roads in Tonga.

The Prime Minister said this was a priority for the people and surveys conducted throughout Tonga have supported this policy and there was government money for the project.

The controversy surrounding the government’s deal with Fifita included complaints that the government had awarded a contract to a person with close ties to Hon. Tu’i’onetoa.

Critics have claimed that Fifita and Hon. Tu’i’onetoa come from the same village, Talafo’ou , and have strong family connections.

The announcement last year by the Prime Minister confirming that three companies with strong links to the government have been awarded contracts to supply rocks for the roading project met with jeers of disapproval from the public.

Critics argued the government disregarded local construction companies which have the right equipment and expertise to do the jobs and gave the contracts to their friends.

Ha’apai constructions

Fifita came under the spotlight last month after a New Zealand based-Tongan freight company threatened to sue the Tonga government after he failed to pay more than $100,000 freight debts.

The overdue bill was owed to Tripac International Ltd which is also known as Friendly Islands Freight Ltd after it shipped heavy machinery from New Zealand to Tonga.

The equipment belongs to Fifita and his Pacific Works and Civil Contractor company.

Tripac held the equipment at its facility at the Queen Salote wharf when it arrived in Tonga because Mr Fifita wouldn’t pay for the freight.

It has been claimed the Minister of Finance contacted Tripac and asked the company to release the equipment with a guarantee the government would pay it afterward.

FAKAMATALA FAKA-TONGA

Kuo ta’ofi ‘e he pule’anga’ ‘a e langa mo e tanu hala pule’anga na’e lolotonga fakahoko ‘i Ha’apai ‘e he tangata konitulekitoa mei Nu’u Sila ko Sione Foaki Fifita. Ko hono fakahā fakapapau’i ‘eni ‘e he Minisitā Pa’anga’ Tēvita Lavemaau ki he Ongoongo ‘a e Kaniva Tonga’ he pongipongi’ ni. Na’e ‘ikai foki ha tali ‘a Lavemaau ki he fehu’i ‘e taha mei he Kaniva’ ‘o ‘eke ange pe ko e mo’oni ‘e toe fakahoko ha tala ngāue (rebid) ki he polōseki ko ‘eni’. Pehē ‘e Lavemāu’ kuo tupu hono ta’ofi e ngāue ‘a Fifita’ mei he ‘ikai fakakakato ‘a e fiema’u ki he aleapau ngāue ne tonu ke fakahoko ‘e he pule’anga’  mo ia’. Pehē foki ‘e Lavemaau ne ‘osi lele mai pe a e ngāue ia ‘a Fifita’ ‘i he konga ki mui ‘o e ta’u kuo ‘osi’ ka kuo ta’ofi ‘eni.

Covid 19: Community test results so far encouraging but vigilance urged – Ashley Bloomfield

Authorities say incoming Covid-19 community test results following the Auckland cases are encouraging, but caution in the next few days will be crucial.

No caption
Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield says it’s important for parallel chains of transmission to be uncovered if they existed. Photo: RNZ / Samuel Rillstone

A surge in testing has yet to discover any spread to close contacts or further into the community.

Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told Morning Report that was positive, but it was important for parallel chains of transmission to be uncovered if they existed.

“The key thing we’re trying to rule out is, first of all, have any of our existing cases passed the virus on to someone, either at the school or in the workplace. Now the testing so far is reassuring in that case.”

The daughter in the Papatoetoe family at the centre of the recent community cases was the first to report the onset of symptoms, but it was still unclear if she was the index case.

“Whilst, yes, the mother works in the Auckland Airport precinct and, whilst arm’s length removed, has got an association with incoming flights through being part of that laundry, it’s really important here to remain open-minded,” he said.

“So, we’re very interested, of course, in the testing from the school to make sure that if indeed the daughter was the index case that we are identifying where that might have come from.”

The mother, father and daughter – who all tested positive – have been moved to quarantine, while another household contact who has tested negative remains in isolation at home. Bloomfield said the family was doing well.

More than 3000 people were tested across the Auckland region yesterday, focusing on close contacts and those who had visited places of interest.

A pop-up testing centre at Papatoetoe High School.
A pop-up testing centre at Papatoetoe High School. Photo: RNZ / Liu Chen

“This is the thing we’re trying to find out, really are there parallel or onward chains of transmission in the community. I should say that our sense is that we would have picked up at least someone else, through the regular testing of anyone with symptoms,” Bloomfield said.

Wastewater testing in the area last week had also returned an encouraging result.

“ESR has been doing some quite regular wastewater testing, the last result from that was on the 10th of February and that didn’t show any virus in the South Auckland area.”

More wastewater testing would be carried out this week, he said.

On saliva testing, Bloomfield said this was being rolled out across some managed isolation and quarantine facilities and cost around the same as a nasal swab test.

“We have talked to Rako [Science] about their testing, which is saliva based, and the results they have are from the US, which we’re still treating with some caution about whether it’s going to be as accurate as the swabbing,” he said.

“So we will be watching with interest any further work they do and any results they have from that.”

Medical expert gives his ‘best guess’ to when NZ can return to Alert Level 1

This TVNZ story is republished with permission

A medical expert who accurately predicted Covid-19 would come back into New Zealand’s communities has given his “best guess” as to when the latest lockdown will end.

Three new community cases – people from the same family – in South Auckland yesterday saw Auckland put into Alert Level 3 restrictions and the rest of the country into Alert Level 2.

The restrictions are currently in place until Wednesday night at 11:59pm, with the situation being reviewed by Government on a daily basis.

The University of Auckland’s Faculty of Medicine’s Professor Des Gorman appeared on Seven Sharp to give his evaluation of what will happen next.

“My best guess, and it is a guess, would be that the Government will try and buy time and they will extend this window of observation out until Friday at least,” he said.

“They would do this to try and accumulate more data and get a sense of how widespread this outbreak is, and God willing it’s not widespread, and we can make a rapid transition back to Alert Level 1.”

Gorman also says health officials need to take a look at what the country’s “appetite for risk” is around Covid-19.

He thinks it’s currently at odds with itself, as we are willing to “plonk” down Kiwis arriving from overseas in the middle of populated cities, but also willing to go into lockdown as soon as new virus cases emerge in the community.

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield is remaining cautious despite close contacts of the latest Covid-19 community cases returning negative tests so far.

Bloomfield says the lack of further community cases is an “encouraging sign”.

“But it’s the days ahead that will be crucial as results from expanded testing across the Auckland region and the Waikato and Taranaki start coming through,” he told media at the post-Cabinet press conference today.

“What we really want is that the results of this testing at [Papatoetoe High School], at the workplace and in the wider South Auckland community to rule out that there is an onward transmission or rather undetected transmission.”

An investigation is still underway as to how the family contracted Covid-19.

Covid-19: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, Bloomfield at post-Cabinet media briefing

This RNZ.co.nz is republished with permission

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is holding a post-Cabinet meeting media briefing with Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield.

Watch here:

Ardern this morning revealed that genomic sequencing of the latest Covid-19 community cases in Auckland showed they were the UK variant of the coronavirus.

Ardern told RNZ’s Morning Report the results showed the government was right in taking a precautionary approach in moving alert levels, considering the UK variant was more infectious.

Auckland was put into alert level 3 at midnight, while the rest of the country moved to level 2 after three community cases were revealed yesterday.

Ardern said on Sunday the alert levels would be reassessed on a daily basis.

There were no new community cases today, but five new cases were identified in managed isolation facilities.