Home Blog Page 876

Tongan students in Vila “good” says Minister as USP campus reopens

PHOTO: Tongan students in Vanuatu USP campus pose inside a school building after Cyclone Pam. Photo/Joyce Sikalu (Facebook)

The eight Tongan students stranded in Vanuatu after Cyclone Pam are in good condition and the University of the South Pacific’s Port Vila campus was set to re-open today (March 23).

Last week Tongan student Tupou Fa’aoa made an emotional plea for the government on Television Tonga for help, implying they wanted the government to help them return to the kingdom.

However, Tonga’s Minister of Finance Hon. ‘Aisake Valu Eke reassured Parliament on Thursday that the students were well.

Hon. Eke said the government had contacted Kisione Finau the Tongan Director of Information Technology  Services at USP’s main campus in Fiji, who has responsibility for Tongan students at USP.

Finau  confirmed the Law School in Vanuatu would begin classes today (March 23).  Finau said he had checked on the students and that their situation was good.

He said the university had looked after the students to make sure they had food, water and housing.

The university’s electricity supply in Vila had been fixed as part of the preparation to start school.

The Finance Minister said the government had been contacted by the parents of Tongan students in Vanuatu, who confirmed  the students were in good condition.

State of emergency

Vanuatu’s President Baldwin Lonsdale declared a State of Emergency across all six provinces of the Melanesian country after Cyclone Pam struck last week.

Shelter, food, health and water, sanitation and health remain key needs according, to them latest UN Relief Web service report.

Half of Vanuatu’s population, spread over 22 islands and about 166,000 people are estimated to be in need of food assistance for the next three months.

About 57,000 affected school-age children are receiving relief assistance.

There were 16 confirmed deaths and 65,000 people need temporary shelter

The main points

  • The eight Tongan students stranded in Vanuatu after Cyclone Pam are in good condition and the University of the South Pacific’s Port Vila campus was set to re-open today (March 23).
  • Tongan student Tupou Fa’aoa made an emotional plea for the government on Television Tonga for help, implying they wanted the government to help them return to the kingdom.
  • Tonga’s Minister of Finance Hon. ‘Aisake Valu Eke said the government had contacted Kisione Finau the Tongan Director of Information Technology  Services at USP’s main campus in Fiji, who has responsibility for Tongan students at USP.
  • Finau confirmed the Law School in Vanuatu would begin classes today (March 23).  Finau said he had checked on the students and that their situation was good.

For more information

State of emergency declared, ‘monster’ cyclone Pam aid effort kicks in (SBS/Pacific Media Watch)

USP Emalus Campus is set to open tomorrow! (USP)

Statement by the Humanitarian Coordinator for Vanuatu, Osnat Lubrani (UN)

Villagers remove jawbone and teeth from whale washed up on Kolonga beach

Residents of Kolonga in Tonga have been able to remove the jawbone and teeth of a dead whale that washed up on their shore this afternoon, March 22.

The whale, of unknown species, had probably been dead for some time before washing ashore.

Photos obtained by Kaniva News show a barefoot man standing by the dead mammal while another person is inside trying to cut the jawbone.

There is blood in the sea around the whale.

In the photograph, dozens of onlookers, including a Police officer, watch while the men try to remove the bones.

Read more: Dead whale washes up on Kolonga beach

It was not clear who owned the jaw and the teeth and whether the meat was in good enough condition to be consumed.

Normally when stranded whales wash ashore in Tonga, villagers will butcher the carcasses and share the meat.

In the past bones and teeth were significant for Tongan carvers who used them to make works of art, ornamental sculptures and fishhooks.

Whale meat was a delicacy in Tonga and the incident in Kolonga today recalled the tradition of whale butchering.

Old people recall how they enjoyed going to sea to catch whales and bring them home and cook them for the family.

Villagers could identify a home where whale meat has been cooked from a distance because of the strong smell.

In the past whale meat was also sold in the fish market in the capital Nukuʻalofa and when whale hunters arrived in the capital’s harbours the news was announced on the radio.

People from the countryside would travel to Nukuʻalofa to buy whale meat.

After Tonga banned whale hunting in 1978, the practice, which brought villagers together when they shared the meat no longer existed.

The main points

  • Residents of Kolonga in Tonga have been able to remove the jawbone and teeth of a dead whale that washed up on their shore this afternoon, March 22.
  • Photos obtained by Kaniva News show a barefoot man standing by the dead mammal while another person is inside trying to cut the jawbone.
  • Normally when stranded whales wash ashore in Tonga, villagers will butcher the carcasses and share the meat.
  • In the past bones and teeth were significant for Tongan carvers who used them to make works of art, ornamental sculptures and fishhooks.

Dead whale washes up on Kolonga beach

CAPTION: A whale washed up on Kolonga beach. Photo/ Melemanu Bloomfield

A whale washed ashore on Kolonga beach this afternoon Sunday 22.

Tongan journalist Melemanu Bloomfield took photos at the scene.

She said it appeared the whale, of unknown species, had probably been dead for some time before washing ashore.

Some of the people at the scene tried to remove its teeth, she added.

Tonga A victory over Japan first in Pacific Challenge Cup

Tonga A finally ended their search for a victory in the Rugby Pacific Challenge Cup at the third attempt, defeating Junior Japan 60-24 in Suva, Fiji Wednesday, March 18.

Tonga A’s scores were obtained through collective efforts and after tries were made by Liueli Simote, Siale Talakai, Frank Havea, Leiataua Kilifa and Topiese Ahia.

The tournament was set up as one of the IRB initiatives to raise performances and provide necessary infrastructure and to support Pacific rugby union teams to continue to compete at the highest level.

The Rugby Pacific Challenge Cup  has split the six nations involved into two pools with Argentina Pampas XV, Samoa A and Junior Japan in Pool A and the Fiji Warriors, Tonga A and Canada A in Pool B.

They Teams played those in the opposite pool across three matchs day – 10, 14 and 18 March – with the finals day taking place next Monday 23 March.

Emotional plea for help from Tongan students stranded by Cyclone Pam

Tongan students stranded in Vanuatu  have appealed to the Tongan government for help in the wake of Cyclone Pam.

Student Tupou Faʻaoa made an emotional plea for help in a telephone interview with Television Tonga.

Faʻaoa said the students had not experienced a situation like this before.

She said they were trying to come to terms with the disaster.

They had also been told a prisoner had escaped and was still on the run in the area.

“Our home and families are in our thoughts, but there is nothing here that can make us feel at home,” Faʻaoa sobbed.

Faʻaoa said they had no clean water to drink and relied on food given to them by Fijian students who had already been flown back to Fiji by their government.

They could not access their bank accounts as ATM machines were still down.

Tongan government

The Prime Minister’s office has not confirmed whether it will bring back the stranded students, even though it appears that four students studying in Vanuatu on New Zealand scholarships have already returned.

In a statement yesterday the Prime Minister’s office only said that 14 Tongan students were registered as being at the Vanuatu campus by the Ministry of Education.

It said one student was studying on a Tongan government scholarship, three students were there on New Zealand government scholarship, three students were on Australian government scholarship and seven students were studying privately.

However, Faʻaoa said there were eight Tongan students at the campus, seven female and one male.

She said there had been 12 altogether, but four who were on New Zealand government scholarships had already left.

MP Samiu Vaipulu, the member for Vava’u 15,  told Parliament yesterday that other countries which had citizens at the Vanuatu campus had already repatriated their students.

Hon. Vaipulu said Vanuatu was in a state of emergency and there were shortages of food and water.

He said the remaining Tongan students should be returned before someone was killed.

Lord Nuku asked the government whether it had enough funds to deal with the situation in Vanuatu.

Finance Minister ʻAisake Eke said Tonga had enough money to deal with the situation.

He said the government had TP$26 million (NZ$17 million) as its reserve fund left by the former government and TP$5 million (NZ$3.3 million) set aside for payment of loans.

Cyclone Pam

Cyclone Pam, a category five storm,  was the strongest to hit the South Pacific in the past 30 years.

It wiped out all villages in Vanuatu, with the unconfirmed death toll being put at 44.

The Melanesian country of 260,000 is desperately in need of clothing, food, basic shelter, medical supplies, water and other necessities.

A total of eight deaths have been confirmed in Port Vila, which is home to about 40,000 people, but aid agencies say the death toll is likely to rise.

The main points

  • Tongan students stranded in Vanuatu have appealed to the Tongan government for help in the wake of Cyclone Pam.
  • Student Tupou Faʻaoa made an emotional plea for help in a telephone interview with Television Tonga.
  • Faʻaoa said they had no clean water to drink and relied on food given to them by Fijian students who had already been flown back to Fiji by their government.
  • The Prime Minister’s office has not confirmed whether it will bring back the stranded students, even though it appears that four students studying in Vanuatu on New Zealand scholarships have already returned.

For more information

Cyclone Pam: Vanuatu will run out of food ‘in a week’ (The Independent)

UNICEF Vanuatu appeal

USP Emalus campus

New images reveal Port Authority Tonga massive clean-up operations

Tonga’s Port of Authority began disposing of derelict ships in Faua Harbour and sea areas in Nuku’alofa harbours.

The Ports Authority Tonga said it commenced the cleaning operation on February 21 and will continue until all the vessels have been removed.

“This complex operation involves the removing of old abandoned vessels, laid up vessels and wreckages stranded on the reef of Nuku’alofa.

“On  21st February, Ports Authority Tonga  dismantled and sunk the MV Waimanu and MV Marie Princess , followed by the MV Takuo and MV Toko 5 on 28th February at the North West of Hakaumama‘o and approximately 30 miles North North East of ‘Atata Island (latitude 20.58.3 longitude 175 13.4 west)

“The General Manager of Ports Authority Tonga, Mosese Lavemai said that, “PAT is happy to assist Government and be a part of the beautification process for the upcoming Coronation in July.”

“The cleaning up and maintenance of the port of Nuku’alofa is our responsibility, and I am pleased that this Government administration has endorsed the process which we have for many years attempted to enforce but to no avail because of legal issues and unpaid tariffs by the vessel owners,” he further added.

The process involving heavy machinery is solely funded and provided by the Ports Authority, which is expected to cost more than TOP $200,000.

Ministry promises hundreds of new homes after being bombarded with complaints

Tonga’s Ministry of Infrastructure has promised to build 400 new houses in the Ha’apai islands after being bombarded with complaints about the slowness of its reconstruction problem.

Infrastructure Minister ‘Etuate Lavulavu said his ministry would repair the same number of houses in the next four months.

The islands were battered by Cyclone Ian in 2014 and most of the houses and many public facilities were destroyed.

About 5500 people – about three quarters of the islands’ population – were affected.

But in the 14 months since the disaster, only 26 houses have been built.

Hon. Lavulavu said his ministry had received 359 complaints from Ha’apai residents.

He said he was dealing with the complaints one by one.

The World Bank has helped Tonga’s rebuilding project with $12 million in grants and low interest loans provided through its Crisis Response Window facility.

Hon. Lavulavu said when World Bank agents met him and the Finance Minister in Tonga recently they raised their concerns about the situation.

He said he agreed with World Bank agents that the rebuilding project must be completed by July this year.

The joint World Bank and Tonga government Cyclone Ian Reconstruction and Climate Resilience Project originally planned to build up to 350 one room houses.

The rebuilding project includes repairing damaged houses and reinforce existing houses to withstand future cyclones.

Hon. Lavulavu said bids and tenders for the building work had already been called.

The main points

  • Tonga’s Ministry of Infrastructure has promised to build 400 new houses in the Ha’apai islands after being bombarded with complaints about the slowness of its reconstruction problem.
  • The islands were battered by Cyclone Ian in 2014 and most of the houses and many public facilities were destroyed.
  • But in the 14 months since the disaster, only 26 houses have been built.
  • Infrastructure Minister ‘Etuate Lavulavu said the World Bank had also raised concerns about the situation.

For more information

World Bank Supports Disaster Reconstruction and Recovery in Tonga (World Bank)

Folaumoetu'i new ceo office of the commissioner for public relations

The Office of the commissioner for Public Relations has appointed Linda Simiki Folaumoetu’i as its CEO on  February 27, 2015.

The appointment was effective March 5, 2015 for a period of three years.

A statement from the government of Tonga said:

“As Chief Executive Officer for Public Relations, Mrs. Folaumoetu’i has the responsibility of implementing government policies and decisions, and for managing the administrative, operational activities of the Office of the Public Relations. In addition, she will be responsible for the investigation, review and inspection of the administrative conduct of government ministries and agencies; and provide advice and guidance in order to ensure people are treated fairly.

“Mrs. Linda Folaumoetu’i’s career in the public service began in 1993 as a Legal Crown Counsel at the Crown Law Department, Nuku’alofa. Since then, she has taken over senior positions in the Department, including Assistant Crown Counsel, Crown Counsel, Assistant Senior Crown Counsel, Senior Crown Counsel as well as the Solicitor general from 2006 until July 2008.

“From July 2008 to 2014, Mrs. Folaumoetu’i carried out an advisory role as a legal adviser at the Attorney General’s Chambers Office, Honiara, Solomon Islands. Mrs. Folaumoettu’i has sat on various professional committees which includes being Secretary to the Commission of inquiry for Royal Tongan Airlines, member of court of Marine Inquiry into damages caused by the MV Pulupaki to the MV Olovaha, member of the Ministry of Public Service Committee dealing with disciplinary procedures, member of the Anti-Corruption Taskforce in Solomon Islands, and was a member of the Solomon Islands Bar Association.

“Mrs Folaumoetu’i holds a, a Bachelor of Arts (1989) and a Bachelor of Laws (1993) degree from the University of Auckland, New Zealand Masters in Law (2000) from the University of Melbourne, Australia and a Diploma in Legislative Drafting (2001) from the University of the South Pacific.

“The Public Service Commission welcomes Mrs. Linda Folaumoetu’i’s appointment as Chief Executive Officer of the Commissioner for Public Relations and wishes her all the best in her professional career”.

Man beat, tied up and imprisoned woman in Puke still on the loose

Tongan Police are searching for a 28-year-old man from Navutoka suspected of beating, tying up and locking his partner in a hut located in a plantation in Puke.

The 20-year-old woman from Vaini was then left alone for days without food but she managed to escape while the assailant disappeared.

She was rushed to hospital by some Good Samaritans in the area and received medical treatment.

Although local media have identified the victim and the perpetrator, Sia Adams from Police Communication Department in Tonga said Police did not release details of the alleged attacker and the victim. She also declined to comment on specific details of the woman’s story

“…we have not released the names of both victim and suspect and we haven’t arrested the suspect yet”, Adams said.

Fire spread to three houses in Houmakelikao caused by child playing with matches

PHOTO CAPTION:  Feleti Hopoate aka Ulupano (in front)  with his wife Moʻunga ʻUlupano and their eldest daughter Seletute with their grandchildren  in front of their family home, The house their family had lived in was destroyed by fire on Monday 16. Photo/ ʻAna Tapueluelu 

A fire that destroyed one house and partly damaged two others at Houmakelikao on Monday 16, was started by a child playing with matches, Tonga Fire and Emergency Services said.

A 5m boat and a van were also affected by the fire.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene at 6.09pm it said.

Viliami Tu’ihalamaka from Tonga Fire Services said about 90 percent of a house belonged to Feleti Hopoate, 58, also known as ‘Ulupano was “fully destroyed”.

A house that was under-construction was “partly destroyed” by the fire also belonged to ʻUlupano he said.

A third house received “minor damaged” during the blaze belonged to Kilifi Finau, 55.

Tuʻihalamaka said the “child lit a match and threw it on top of the bed”.

There were no injuries and no one was killed in the blaze.

Tuʻihalamaka said the housefires have resulted in an estimated loss of TP$90,000.

Anyone wishing to donate or support the victims  can contact 8799981 or  8704249 and speak to ʻUlupano.