Home Blog Page 526

Bearded men carry ‘more germs than dogs’, study finds

By PADRAIC FLANAGAN FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

It’s bad news for hipsters but men with beards harbour more germs in their whiskers than dogs carry in their fur, scientists say.

The alarming news follows a study that found every sampled beard was crawling with bacteria, and nearly half had bugs that were hazardous to human health.

By contrast, a number of the dogs tested proved to have lower levels of microbes. Now men have been left bristling with fury, with claims that the results stem from pogonophobia – the irrational fear of beards.

In the study, scientists wanted to discover whether there was a risk that humans might pick up a dog-borne disease from an MRI scanner that was also used for examinations by vets. Researchers took swabs from the beards of 18 men and the necks of 30 dogs, across a range of breeds, and compared the results.

Professor Andreas Gutzeit, of Switzerland’s Hirslanden Clinic, said: ‘The researchers found a significantly higher bacterial load in specimens taken from the men’s beards compared with the dogs’ fur.’ The study found all of the bearded men, aged from 18 to 76, showed high microbial counts, but only 23 out of 30 dogs had high counts. The remainder had moderate levels.

Seven men were even found to harbour microbes that posed a threat to human health.

After the MRI exams of the dogs, the scanners were disinfected and showed a ‘significantly’ lower bacteria count compared with levels seen when used by humans.

‘On the basis of these findings, dogs can be considered as clean compared with bearded men,’ said Dr Gutzeit.

But Keith Flett, founder of the Beard Liberation Front, which opposes discrimination against the hirsute, cast doubt on the report.

‘I think it’s possible to find all sorts of unpleasant things if you took swabs from people’s hair and hands and then tested them,’ he said. ‘I don’t believe that beards in themselves are unhygienic.

‘There seems to be a constant stream of negative stories about beards that suggest it’s more about pogonophobia than anything else.’

Israel Folau sacked, given 48-hours to appeal

By Radio New Zealand

Wallabies fullback Israel Folau has 48 hours to decide his future after being handed an official code of conduct breach notice by Rugby Australia.

Rugby Australia intends to terminate his contract following his social media post on Twitter and Instagram last week, which proclaimed homosexuals, drunks and atheists, among others, would go to hell unless they repented.

Folau was today served with a breach notice over the posts.

In a statement, Rugby Australia said its integrity unit deemed that Folau had committed a high-level breach of the Professional Players’ Code of Conduct warranting termination of his employment contract.

Folau has 48 hours to accept the sanction or have the matter referred to a code of conduct hearing.

Rugby Australia chief executive, Raelene Castle said Folau had failed to meet his obligations.

“At its core, this is an issue of the responsibilities an employee owes to their employer and the commitments they make to their employer to abide by their employer’s policies and procedures and adhere to their employer’s values.

“Following the events of last year, Israel was warned formally and repeatedly about the expectations of him as player for the Wallabies and NSW Waratahs with regards to social media use and he has failed to meet those obligations,” Castle said.

“It was made clear to him that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action.”

Castle said all professional rugby players in Australia were bound by the code of conduct and there was a process in place for any disciplinary matter.

“We appreciate that this particular matter will attract significant interest, but due process must be followed.”

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika said earlier that Folau’s “disrespectful” comments would currently make it impossible to pick the superstar for Australia at this year’s Rugby World Cup.

“Getting out in that disrespectful manner publicly is not what our team’s about. When you play in the gold jersey, we represent everyone in Australia – everyone. Everyone that’s out there supporting us. We don’t pick and choose,” Cheika said.

Tongan couple convicted of forced labour

By Radio New Zealand

A Tongan couple has been found guilty of forcing a Fijian woman to work as a servant in their suburban Brisbane home for eight years.

Malavine Pulini was found guilty of trafficking and forced labour on Friday.

Her husband, Isikeli Pulini, was also convicted of the forced labour offence but he was found not guilty of trafficking.

The couple had pleaded guilty on Thursday to harbouring an unlawful citizen but denied the human trafficking and forced labour charges.

They will be sentenced at a later date.

Police search for sick two-day-old baby taken from Middlemore Hospital

Police are seeking the public’s help to locate a missing two-day-old baby boy who is believed to be with his mother, Dorothy Opetaia (pictured).

Police are concerned for the wellbeing of the infant, who was removed from Middlemore Hospital but requires urgent medical assistance.

Police believe the baby is with his mother Dorothy Opetaia and they are likely to be in the South Auckland area.

“I have serious concerns for the wellbeing of the baby boy who desperately requires medical care.

Someone in the Opetaia family will know where he is,” says Detective Senior Sergeant Hassall.

“I’m appealing for Dorothy or any family members to take the baby to any hospital straight away, delaying medical attention could cause him to become seriously ill.” 

Anyone with information can contact Counties Manukau Police immediately on 09 261 1321.

Tonga signs medical referral deal with Indian hospital group

By Radio New Zealand.

Tongans with serious medical conditions could be eligible for treatment in India after the signing of a deal between Tonga’s Health Ministry and a private Indian hospital group.

The chief executive of Tonga’s Ministry of Health says the Apollo hospital group has been receiving referrals from Fiji for the past six years and from Samoa over the last year.

Dr Siale ‘Akauola said a Tongan medical team visited the hospital in India before the new agreement was signed.

He said the deal was an affordable option for Tonga.

“So far we have sent some patients already and we have looked at the initial reactions from the patients and we were very pleased with what they had experienced. We were a bit concerned about the long trip because it involves stop overs, so we select patients who can go there based on their ability to travel long hours on the plane,” he said.

Dr ‘Akauola said so far patients needing neurosurgery, cardiac surgery and cancer treatment had gone to India.

This article is republished under Kaniva’s content partnership with Radio New Zealand.

NZ bus company pleads guilty over crash that killed Tongans

By Radio New Zealand.

New Zealand bus company Ritchies has pleaded guilty to a health and safety charge laid over the 2016 Christmas Eve bus crash near Gisborne that left three people dead.

The bus was carrying members of a school brass band that was on a four-week fundraising tour from Tonga.

The band was on its way to Gisborne to perform at a church on Christmas Day, when the bus plunged down a steep bank.

Three people were killed and many others were injured.

The crash killed 11-year-old Sione Taumololo and a 33-year-old Talita Fifita.

Leotisia Malakai, 55, died later from her injuries at Waikato Hospital.

In the Waitakere District Court this morning, Ritchies entered a guilty plea through its lawyer to an amended charge laid by WorkSafe, for failing to ensure the health and safety of other people was not put at risk.

Talakai Aholelei who was driving the bus which crashed near Gisborne on Christmas Eve.

Talakai Aholelei who was driving the bus which crashed near Gisborne on Christmas Eve. Photo: supplied

Last year, the driver of the bus, Talakai Aholelei, was sentenced to five-and-a-half months’ home detention and had his license suspended for two years.

He pleaded guilty to three charges of careless driving causing death and 27 charges of careless driving causing injury.

He also had to pay $36,000 in reparations.

This article is republished under Kaniva’s content partnership with Radio New Zealand.

Gov’t takes legal action after Acting Speaker blocks six new bills it said were urgent

The Pohiva government says it has lodged an application for a judicial review of the decision to block six new bills it says urgently need to be tabled.

The decision was made by Lord Tu’ilakepa when he was Acting Speaker last month.

The Minister of Police, Mateni Tapueluelu, said that based on legal advice the government has formally proceeded with a judicial review.

In his response, Lord Tu’ilakepa said in Parliament he welcomed the move.

The Prime Minister wrote to the Speaker of the House last month and told him the Bills were urgent.

According to the House procedure, when Bills are labelled as urgent, it means there is no need for the House to discuss whether these bills needed public consultation or not. The House has to table them immediately.

However, as Kaniva Tonga news reported last month, there was uproar in the House  when Lord Tu’ilakepa said the Prime Minister was obliged to tell the House in a letter the reasons why the government considered the six Bills before him were urgent.

The government disagreed and said certifying in a letter the bills were urgent only required the Prime Minister to say they were urgent and to sign the letter.

Lord Tu’ilakepa and seven other Noble MPs, along with three independent MPs,  wanted the government to meet face to face with the public to consult with them on the new legislation.

The government said it had already done the public consultation process over a radio talk back show led by the Acting Attorney General, ‘Aminiasi Kefu.

As Kaniva news reported recently, the king had ordered that the petitions against his government should be investigated by the office of the Director of Prosecutions.

However, Hon. Pōhiva said the office did not exit.

“The Bill to amend the Constitution so that the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions can be established is one of those six Bills that I had submitted to the Legislative Assembly to be treated as urgent,” the Prime Minister said.

“It is unfortunate that its passage has been held up due to differences in interpretation of the Rules of Procedure of the Legislative Assembly.”

The main points

  • The Pohiva government said it had lodged an application for a judicial review of the decision to block six new bills it says urgently need to be tabled.
  • The decision was made by Lord Tu’ilakepa when he was Acting Speaker last month.

For more information

Seven noble MPs vow not to return to Parliament unless motion is tabled, but independents return to Househttps://kanivatonga.co.nz/2019/03/seven-noble-mps-vow-not-to-return-to-parliament-unless-motion-is-tabled-but-independents-return-to-house/

Video shows man attacked inside kava club over alleged dancing with tou‘a stunt

A Tongan man has been caught on camera attacking an old Tongan man inside a fale kalapu (kava club)

According to sources, the men in the video were relatives and the incident occurred in the US early this week.

The attacker can be heard telling the victim, who was the president of the club, to stop hulohula (dancing)  inside the house.

The old man responded and said it was not the appropriate time and place for them to sort out the attacker’s concern.

The attacker threatened to kick out the club from his property. He said he could do whatever he wanted as it was his property.

He said he was unhappy with the victim and other members of the club for dancing with the tou’a – the woman who was serving the kava at the club.

He said he saw on Facebook it was the victim who was allegedly dancing with the tou’a.

The attacker told the victim his action embarrassed him as owner of the property  as he was a member of a church.

The video has been widely shared and reposted online. One post was shared more than 80 times and viewed more than 38,350. It received 317 reactions and attracted more than 270 comments.

Breaching of taboo

It is understood the episode erupted after what appeared to be a breach of the taboo of kava sessions.

The incident came after another video clip was previously shared online.

In that video, a woman and a man in a fale kalapu were slow dancing while the club’s acoustic band was playing.

The video showed the woman and his dancing partner covered their faces with a white piece of cloth while dancing.

You can follow this link to watch the videos

Editorial comments

Culturally, there are certain taboos kava drinkers and the woman who is serving kava (tou’a) must follow. This including the tou’a having to wear a Tongan formal attire especially with a ta’ovala. She also has to sit in the faite style in which both legs have to be closed to the left or the right.

The brothers and male cousins of the tou’a must not attend the kava session.

The tou’a must (fakamolumalu) behave respectfully and discipline herself with appropriate manners including stopping the kava drinkers from touching her or trying to kiss her in an attempt to create a stunt or joke. 

The main points

  • A Tongan man has been caught on camera attacking an old Tongan man inside a fale kalapu (kava club).
  • According to sources, the men in the video were relatives and the incident occurred in the US early this week.

Israel Folau to be sacked by Rugby Australia

By ABC. This story appears on Radio New Zealand news website.

Rugby Australia has announced it intends to terminate Israel Folau’s contract following his latest online comments that homosexuals and other “sinners” will go to hell.

Wallabies international Folau, one of Australia’s top players and most marketable athletes, wrote on Instagram that gays would be condemned to “hell” if they failed to “repent”.

New South Wales Waratahs player Folau, an evangelical Christian, made similar comments last April.

Rugby Australia and New South Wales Rugby Union said they had made attempts to contact Folau “both directly and via his representatives” since last night, but the star had failed to communicate directly with either organisation.

“Whilst Israel is entitled to his religious beliefs, the way in which he has expressed these beliefs is inconsistent with the values of the sport,” a Rugby Australia statement read.

“We want to make it clear that he does not speak for the game with his recent social media posts.

“Israel has failed to understand that the expectation of him as a Rugby Australia and NSW Waratahs employee is that he cannot share material on social media that condemns, vilifies or discriminates against people on the basis of their sexuality.”

It said rugby is a sport that continuously works to unite people, and they wanted everyone to feel safe in the game.

“And welcome in our game, and no vilification based on race, gender, religion or sexuality is acceptable and no language that isolates, divides or insults people based on any of those factors can be tolerated.

“As a code we have made it clear to Israel formally and repeatedly that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action.

“In the absence of compelling mitigating factors, it is our intention to terminate his contract.”

The sport’s governing body said in a statement on Wednesday the content within the post was unacceptable.

“It does not represent the values of the sport and is disrespectful to members of the rugby community.

“The Rugby Australia Integrity Unit has been engaged on the matter tonight.”

Qantas, a major sponsor of Rugby Australia, has labelled the comments disappointing.

Earlier, it said it was awaiting the results of Rugby Australia’s investigation but the comments didn’t reflect the spirit of inclusion and diversity that the airline supports.

Folau was contracted to Rugby Australia and the Waratahs through to the end of the 2022 season.

Row breaks out between king’s nobles as Lord Ma‘afu scolds Lord Tu‘ilakepa over ‘Atele lease petition

A debate after a petition by Tonga College ex-students was tabled in Parliament has divided the king’s nobles, with Lord Ma’afu telling Lord Tu’ilakepa he was “ta’emahino” (misunderstanding).

Lord Ma’afu said he had been trying repeatedly to tell the noble the land about which the petition complained belonged to the government, but the noble appeared to ignore it.

Lord Ma’afu, who is also the Minister of Lands, Survey and Natural Resources, told Lord Tu’ilakepa to check the quarry on his estate, which he often talked about, and see whether it was still in use or had run out of rocks.

Lord Tu’ilakepa told Lord Ma’afu to stop being personal.  

“’Oua te ke fakafo’ituitui. ‘Oua te ke fakafo’utuitui,” Lord Tu’ilakepa warned in Tongan.  

The petition

The nobles’ row came after the petitioners complained that 15 acres of land at Tonga College, ‘Atele which the government recently leased to the Tonga Football Association should be returned to the college.

The petition was backed by most Noble MPs and the Independent MPs.  

Lord Ma’afu told parliament two weeks ago that the late King Tupou IV decided to lease part of Tonga College’s lands for the establishment of a Football Association centre in Tonga.

Lord Ma’afu said the size for the land the king wanted for the centre was big, but as far as he understood FIFA, which was funding the centre, could only afford 15 acres of the land.

He said the Football Association recently asked for more land and he had given them another 15 acres.

He said the petition was based on that additional 15 acres.

The noble said the Football Association was entitled to more land, but he thought that was enough.

He said the Football Association’s lease was legal and went through his Ministry’s procedures.

Against

The Niuas MP Vatau Hui, who was an ex-student of Tonga College and whose son is studying at the college, insisted that the Minister should return the additional 15 acres to the college.

He said the value of a child being taught at the college was more important than the benefits the Football Association could bring.

Lord Ma’afu asked the MP why they did not submit a petition when the University of the South Pacific and the Tonga Communication Corporations leased parts of the land.

Hon. Hui argued that the land being given to the Football Association was fertile and therefore important for the College’s agriculture.

Lord Ma’afu said about TP$4 million every year came through football and was being spent on young people.

He said Tonga College had 186 acres of land to use.

The main points

  • A debate after a petition by Tonga College ex-students was tabled in Parliament has divided the king’s nobles, with Lord Ma’afu telling Lord Tu’ilakepa he was “ta’emahino” (misunderstanding).
  • The nobles’ row came after the petitioners complained that 15 acres of land at Tonga College which the government recently leased to the Tonga Football Association should be returned to the college.