Home Blog Page 562

Wellington murder charge laid in relation to death of Sosiua Helotu Ula

A 31-year-old Porirua man has been charged with murder following the death of Tongan man Sosiua Helotu Ula after an incident in Wellington.

He appeared by an audio visual link from Rimutaka Prison in the Porirua District Court on Friday.

He received continued interim name suppression and was remanded in custody to next appear in the Wellington High Court on 3 December 2018, Detective Senior Sergeant Christiaan Barnard said.

Two other defendants, aged 28 and 38 years, have been remanded on bail to appear in the Wellington High Court on 16 January 2018.

They were both also have continued interim name suppression.

Police have previously said that Ula, 19, was found with critical injuries after falling from a Mercedes on Porirua’s Warspite Ave on Sunday, October 7.

The trio had appearances scheduled in the Wellington District Court for charges of conspiracy to supply methamphetamine.

Additional charges of possession of methamphetamine for the purpose of supply have been laid against them.

“The detectives investigating the death of Mr Ula have worked tirelessly to bring the matter to this point,” Barnard said.

“We could not have done this without the assistance of the local residents of Ascot Park, Waitangirua, and Whitby.

“While this type of incident is rare, I would like to thank and reassure local residents that Police will continue to work with them to reduce the incidence of serious crime in the community.”

Armed forces and police take to streets together for tsunami drill in Nuku‘alofa

Tongan police and army have been working together in Nuku’alofa today on a tsunami drill.

Earlier reports suggested the army was helping police patrol the capital’s central business district.

However, a police spokesperson said late today the photograph of soldiers and police on the streets that has been widely circulated, showed members of the two services were  engaged in a tsunami drill.

Kaniva news is happy to clarify the situation.

The army does not have the authority to become involved in domestic duties unless a state of emergency has been declared.

The National Emergency Management Office and other Ministries conducted a tsunami drill today.

NEMO said members of His Majesty’s Armed Forces (HMAF), Ministry of Police and Tonga Fire Department patrolled the streets to ensure public safety.

An alert for a 9.0 Richter scale earthquake was broadcast on radio at 12:30pm.

While schools and businesses were not evacuated, people were urged to gather at their respective assembly areas once the exercise started.

People not taking part in the drill were invited to observe local Government primary schools.

If a natural disaster strikes and a state of emergency is declared, both forces will be authorised to carry out emergency duty.

After Cyclone Gita in February hundreds of military personnel helped clear roads.

The main points

  • Tongan police and army have been working together in Nuku’alofa today on a tsunami drill.
  • Earlier reports suggested the army was helping police patrol the capital’s central business district.
  • Kaniva news is happy to clarify the situation.

For more information 

NEMO leads National Tsunami Drill

Tongan man appears in court in Australia after Kaufusi’s death

A Tongan man reportedly appeared in a court in Western Australia after the death of another Tongan man.

Siosifa Kaufusi who is believed to be in his 20s died on November 1 in Carnarvon.

‘Ēpalahame Maama Tāufa has appeared in court this week and it is understood he is scheduled to reappear before a judge on November 19.

A member of a small Tongan community in Carnarvon, Joanna V Matangi said on a video a fundraising had been organised to help bring back Kaufusi’s body to his family in Tonga.

In one of the latest videos shared on Facebook this week by Matangi she said the fundraising has been successful.

She thanked Tongan and Australian sponsors for their helps.

It is understood the deceased was in Australia to join Tongan Seasonal Workers.

Matangi claimed Kaufusi’s contract with his Seasonal Worker employer was expired before he died.

Five players set for ‘Ikale Tahi debut

This story by RNZ PACIFIC appears on PACNEWS. Kaniva News has a content sharing arrangement with PACNEWS 


RNZ PACIFIC – Ospreys prop Ma’afu Fia and Hawkes Bay lock Sam Ulufonua will make their international rugby debut this weekend after being named to start for Tonga against the French Barbarians.

Wellington prop Tolu Fahamokioa, Bay of Plenty flanker Zane Kapeli and Taranaki wing Latu Vaeno are also poised to make their first appearance for the ‘Ikale Tahi off the bench in Bordeaux, France.

34-test stalwart Siale Piutau will captain the Kingdom from second five, alongside 35 year old Grenoble centre Alaska Taufa, who earned the last of his 12 test caps four and a half years ago.

Another Grenoble regular Daniel Kilioni will line up on the left wing in his first appearence for the ‘Ikale Tahi in two year.

Meanwhile 42 test veteran Vunga Lilo, who along with Kapeli were not named in the original tour squad, will start at fullback, having last played for the Tonga at the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Tonga are using the French Baabaas clash in Bordeaux, France to prepare for tests against Wales and Georgia.

Tonga team vs French Barbarians:

  1. Siegfried Fisi’ihoi, 2. Paula Ngauamo, 3. Ma’afu Fia*, 4. Sam Ulufonua*, 5. Leva Fifita, 6. Dan Faleafa, 7. Fotu Lokotui, 8. Sione Vailanu, 9. Sonatane Takulua, 10. Kurt Morath, 11. Daniel Kilioni, 12. Siale Piutau (c), 13. Alaska Taufa, 14. Viliami Lolohea, 15. Vunga Lilo.

Reserves: 16. Sefo Sakalia, 17. ‘Otutolu Fahamokioa*, 18. Ben Tameifuna, 19. Valentino Mapapalangi, 20. Zane Kapeli*, 21. Leon Fukofuka, 22. Latiume Fosita, 23. Latu Vaeno

Boy who couldn’t afford shoes takes successful recycling business back to Tonga

Success is like owning a brand new pair of shoes.

That was the message Tongan businessman Saia Latu told this year’s Tonga National Day Celebration in Auckland.

Latu was one of the guest speakers at the event, which was organised by the New Zealand Tonga Business Council and Auckland Council.

Latu is Managing Director of Te Riu O Waikato (TROW) Group.

He won the Business Council’s ‘Business Executive’ award in 2017, two years after the TROW Group was formed.

He left school when he was 14 because his parents could not afford to keep him there.

Nor could he afford shoes.

“My first job was pushing trolleys at the Auckland domestic airport, and I remember when I’d see people coming in and out of the terminals the first thing I’d notice were their shoes,” Latu said.

“I couldn’t afford shoes back then and had to wear my cousin’s.

“So when I’m asked what success is, I say success is like owning a brand new pair of shoes.”

He eventually moved into the machinery hire and civil infrastructure industry where he spent 15 years, building on the contacts and knowledge he had gained.

“I fought hard for every opportunity I was given because there are millions out there like me,” he recalls.

Eventually Latu formed the TROW Group, which salvages and recycles material from building sites for use in schools, community centres and churches.

It manages million-dollar projects across the Auckland and Waikato region.

In conjunction with contracts from the Auckland Council, the TROW Group has been able to provide furniture and materials to schools, communities and churches in Tonga.

The group has established a company in Tonga to help distribute and store materials.

Latu said he wanted to duplicate the model in other Pacific islands.

The main points

  • Success if like owning a brand new pair of shoes.
  • That was the message Tongan businessman Saia Latu told this year’s Tonga National Day Celebration in Auckland.
  • Latu is Managing Director of Te Riu O Waikato (TROW) Group.

For more information 

A million ways to salvage

TROW Group

Migrant fruit and vegetable workers suffer from wage theft says new Australian report

Migrant workers in Australia are among the worst paid in the country, according to a new report, Wage Theft in Australia.

It said almost a third of migrant workers were paid half the casual minimum wage at $12 an hour or less.

The report found conditions were worst in jobs such as fruit and vegetable-picking and farm work.

About 15% of those workers earned $5 an hour or less, while a third earned $10 an hour or less.

The report said the scale of unclaimed wages was likely to be worth more than a billion dollars.

Last year the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported that three Tongan workers on the  Seasonal Workers Programme had died and others were being forced to live and work gruelling hours.

In 2016 complaints about the way the programme was being run in Queensland led to the formation of Tongan support group.

The group’s president, Falepaini Maile, said Tongan workers were enduring appalling conditions in North Queensland.

She said one man, Paulo Kivalu, died at Bowen in 2016 from overwork, lack of food and medical care in the past 12 months.

Maile said the labour hire contractor had not paid Kivalu’s superannuation contributions for two years, leaving his widow and her two young girls in Tonga with just $1,360.

The labour hire firm paid the money only after he died.

Maile said Tongan workers were  living in unventilated shipping containers and cramped caravans in Childers and Bowen in Queensland.

The Guardian reported on the death of Tongan fruit picker Sione Fifita, who died after falling ill in the hostel. The paper said he  was left for eight days without medical care in this caravan park.

The ABC found Fijian and Tongan workers picking fruit in Victoria for as little as $9 a week after deductions  for accommodation, flights, visas, bedding, food and gloves  were taken from their pay.

The main points

  • Migrant workers in Australia are among the worst paid in the country, according to a new report, Wage Theft in Australia.
  • It said almost a third of migrant workers were paid half the casual minimum wage at $12 an hour or less.
  • The report found conditions were worst in jobs such as fruit and vegetable-picking and farm work.

For more information

A third of Australian migrant workers are paid less than half minimum wage

How labour hire villains make millions from Australia’s ‘modern slavery’ market

Hungry, poor, exploited: alarm over Australia’s import of farm workers

Tonga takes home body building gold

COOK ISLANDS NEWS / PACNEWS-Manase Afuhaamango from Tonga claimed the gold medal in the overall 100 kg category of the International Federation of Body Building’s South Pacific competition at the National Auditorium last Saturday.

He competed against John Lamoa (Samoa), the only other contestant in the class.

International Federation of Body Building IFBB Cook Islands president Joe Daniel says the IFBB South Pacific Oceania competition is up to international standards.

However, unfortunately, empty seats greeted competitors at the auditorium, with only a few present to witness the event.

The Cook Islands was represented by Tony Williams (Vaipae, Aitutaki) based in Auckland who competed in the Men’s Under 90 kg, and Tarita Iotua (Mangaia) also based in Auckland who won her category in the Women’s Physique Over 55 kg category.

The overall winners of the main categories, winning gold, were: Men’s Body Builder, Manase Afuhaamango (Tonga); Men’s Physique, Adam Feis, (Australia); Women’s Bikini, Temoemoe Faremiro (Tahiti); Women’s Physique, Glenda Jirard (New Caledonia).

IFBB representative Mark Stewart said the contestants were “in great shape”.

About 40 body building contenders from the Cook Islands, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Samoa, American Samoa, New Zealand, Australia and Tonga participated in the various class weights at the National Auditorium.

Next year’s IFBB South Pacific competition will be hosted in Tahiti.

Kaniva news has a republication rearrangement with PACNEWS

Hakulā league players take ‘huge pride’ in joining Mate Ma‘a Tonga, says Fusitu‘a’s dad

Mate Ma’a Tonga player David Fusitu’a’s father said he was happy that about half of Tonga’s National Rugby League team were players from the Tongan-based New Zealand Hakulā League club.

Speaking exclusively to Kaniva news in South Auckland recently, Edwin said they did not expect the effort and support they gave for the Hakulā club would one day end in having a key role in Tonga’s international rugby league competitions.

He described the move as a seed they sowed that became fruitful.

Edwin Fusitu’a said the players mostly grew up in New Zealand and it was a matter of pride for them to wear the Mate Ma’a Tonga red jerseys.

He said Tongan parents wanted their children to join Hakulā with the intention of them having a chance to play for the Kiwi Rugby League.

Edwin said his son played for Hakulā in 2011 as an under 11 year old player while Tu’imoala Lolohea was under 10.

Other Hakulā players at the time included Mafoa’aeata Hingano, who was under nine and Siliva Havili and Jason Taumālolo, who were under 12.

Siua Taukei’aho and Ben Murdoch Māsila were also at Hakulā.

He said there was no intention for these players at Hakulā to represent Tonga.

“I mean that’s how we normally do it here in New Zealand,” Edwin said.

“If you have the talent to play rugby union your goal is that one day you play for the  All Blacks.

“It was the same idea when it came to Hakulā.”

Most of the players at Hakulā played for Kiwi.

“Somewhere along the line the seed that we sowed at Hakulā changed and our children chose to play for Tonga,” he said.

Edwin said he and other parents were happy that Hakulā had become a useful tool for Mate Ma’a Tonga.

Before the 2017 Rugby World Cup Taumālolo dropped a selection bombshell only three weeks from the start of the tournament by choosing to play for Tonga instead of New Zealand.

Three other players who joined Taumālolo were David Fusitu’a, Siosiua Taukeiaho and Manu Ma’u.

These players began their rugby league career at Hakulā.

Taumālolo’s  move caused a heated debate in the rugby league world, especially among Kiwi supporters.

At the time Taumālolo released a statement saying it was out of a desire to help the development of Tongan rugby league.

“I really enjoyed my time within the Tongan World Cup squad last time and have had a long time association with Tongan Coach Kristian Woolf,” Taumālolo said.

The main points

  • Mate Ma’a Tonga player David Fusitu’a’s father said he was happy that about half of Tonga’s National Rugby League team were players from the Tongan-based New Zealand Hakulā League club.
  • He described the move as a seed they sowed that became fruitful.

For more information 

“Outstanding” says Tongan rugby coach as top players line up for kingdom

Speaker denies impeachment motion reports as Parliament resumes sitting tomorrow

Speaker Lord Fakafanua has denied reports that a motion to impeach seven cabinet ministers including the Prime Minister has been scheduled to be discussed in the House.

He also denied “false information” being circulated on social and news media that Members of Parliament will immediately be impeached as a result of a vote on the Auditor General’s Special Report.

The House will reconvene at 10:00am tomorrow Thursday 8 and there was no agenda to debate on any impeachment as alleged, a statement said.

“The Office of the Speaker wishes to clarify that, to date, it has not received any motion for impeachment of any of the Members of Parliament, including the Prime Minister or any of his Cabinet Ministers,” it said.

“There are requirements in the Rules and Standing orders of the Legislative that needs to be fulfilled before submitting any motion to impeach any Member of Parliament.

“Such a motion must be according to Clause 75 of the Constitution and Clause 87 of the Rules of Procedure of the Legislative Assembly of Tonga.”

It said a report after a Press Conference with the Prime Minister said “that the final decision for the House to proceed and impeach the Prime Minister and six Cabinet Ministers rested with the Speaker of the House, Lord Fakafanua.”

“Again the office wishes to reiterate that this is incorrect as there has been no motion for impeachment and any outcome of the debate on the Auditor’s Report will not automatically result in the impeachment of Members of Parliament.”

Tongan man dies in Western Australia, reports say

A Tongan man has reportedly died in Canarvon, Western Australia last week.

The man allegedly died at a hospital from an injury.

A Tongan woman who identified herself on a video shared on Facebook this week as Joanna V. Matangi claimed the deceased was Siosifa Kaufusi.

Matangi also alleged the deceased’s death came after an altercation which involved another Tongan man.

It is understood the deceased was in Australia to join the Tongan Seasonal Workers.

According to a west.com.au report Police are investigating the death of a man in his 20s in Carnarvon.

St John Ambulance were called to a property in Morgantown Thursday afternoon and took the man to Carnarvon Regional Hospital, the report said.

It said the man died on November 2.