Home Blog Page 783

PSA says workers’ concerns must be heard before proposed new pay scales can go ahead

As tomorrow’s deadline looms for Cabinet to approve new pay scales for public servants, the government and the Public Service Association are at loggerheads, with both sides accusing the other of lying.

The PSA claims that it is hearing one thing from Cabinet and another from the Remuneration Authority and the Public service Commission, while the Authority claims the PSA is twisting the truth, being greedy and threatening strike action

The PSA is demanding that the government delay a new salary scheme for public servants until next January so that its members’ concerns can be addressed properly.

However, the Remuneration Authority says that it has asked Cabinet to approve its proposal from tomorrow, subject to confirmation from the Public Service Commission that ministries are able to implement a new management performance system in time.

PSA General Secretary Mele ‘Amanaki submitted a petition to Prime Minister ‘Akilisi Pohiva yesterday outlining the association’s position.

‘Amanaki said the same request had been put to a meeting of the government’s remuneration authority on April 26 and they had been assured the workers concerns would be addressed.

Yesterday she said the PSA only found out on Monday that the new salary structure would be implemented tomorrow (July 1).

‘Amanaki alleged that Remuneration Authority chair Siosi Mafi had admitted during a meeting on June 17 that they had overlooked a lot of things in the review, but would not go back to the workers and tell them what they had done with their concerns as they were following Cabinet’s direction.

She said this, and other information about a proposed bonus system she claimed to have received from the CEO of the Public Service Commission, did not tally with what the PSA understood from its meeting with the cabinet on April 26.

“The PSA fully supports the implementation of the new salary structures, but would like to ensure that the review is done properly to avoid what happened in 2005,” ‘Amanaki said.

“The PSA will strive to keep their promise to the People of Tonga that there will be no more strikes and they will negotiate through consultation.”

But the remuneration Authority claims the PSA is misleading the Prime Minister and the public.

“Mele Amanaki’s continuing fear campaign using threats of a public strike is not constructive to the Government’s commitment to accountability to tax payers,” a statement from the Authority said.

“The truth is that ‘Amanaki wants a 9% Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for all public servants, costing the tax payers an estimate of$12.3 million, before the new salary structure is implemented.

“The results of the Remuneration Authority consultation will be submitted to the Public Service Commission today 30 June 2016, and thereafter to the Cabinet.

“These results will result in an update to the recommendations already submitted and approved for implementation by the Cabinet.”

The statement said ‘Amanaki had insisted the Authority tell her members individually whether their appeal for more pay had been successful before the submission to the Public Service Commission, but had refused to provide a list of those members.

A large number of public servants were not members of the PSA.

The main points

As tomorrow’s deadline looms for Cabinet to approve new pay scales for public servants, the government and the Public Service Association are at loggerheads, with both sides accusing the other of lying.

The PSA claims that it is hearing one thing from Cabinet and another from the Remuneration Authority and the Public service Commission, while the Authority claims the PSA is twisting the truth, being greedy and threatening strike action

The PSA is demanding that the government delay a new salary scheme for public servants until next January so that its members’ concerns can be addressed properly.

The Remuneration Authority says that it has asked Cabinet to approve its proposal from tomorrow, subject to confirmation from the Public Service Commission.

For more information

Tonga public servants may strike from tomorrow (RNZI, 2005)

New pay scales for Tonga civil servants to begin July 13 despite protests

The Tongan 4,872 civil servants will receive their new pay scales on July 13 despite repeated protests by Tonga Public Service Association (PSA).

The new salary structure was approved by the Tongan Cabinet on April 13  to be implemented on July 1,  2016 in the government’s new budget.

“We are set to implement and first fortnightly schedule  of the new remuneration to 13 July 2016”, Tonga’s Finance Secretary Tatafu Moeaki told Kaniva News this morning.

He said the new pay structure was first planned to be backdated to “2015 but was later revised in April-May 2016 to be effective from 1st July 2016″.

Meanwhile the PSA has submitted another petition in an attempt to postpone the new pay structure.

“The Secretary General of PSA submitted yesterday a petition to the Hon. Prime Minister requesting to defer the implementation of the new salary scales from the 01st July to the 01st January 2017 to facilitate the completion of the review to ensure that the concerns of the workers are addressed to reduce disappointments and expenses to Government if this review continues to next year as planned by the Remuneration Authority and the Public Service Commission”, a press release from PSA said this morning.

Last month the PSA challenged the introduction of the new structure and claimed it did not reflect the concerns and an agreement made after the civil service strikes of 2005.

It submitted a petition to the Prime Minister followed by several meetings with government authorities but now the government decided to go ahead with the new pay structure.

READ MORE

Cabinet approves new pay structure for public servants in move described as a milestone

PSA and authority clash over claims office cleaners will be paid more than public servants

Tongan man dies after drowning in Utah, United States

A 31-year-old Tongan man died after drowning on Saturday 25  in Utah in the United States.

The incident occurred at the Blackridge Reservoir in Herriman, police said.

According to local media the man was identified by police as Penoni Mounga, of Kearns.

Mounga, who was swimming with more than 30 family members at the reservoir, 15000 S. Ashland Ridge Drive, went underwater around 3:40 p.m., according to Unified Police Lt. Lex Bell.

The family had swum across the reservoir and was on the way back when Mounga fell behind and “just didn’t make it back,” Bell said.

A family member reported the Mounga’s disappearance, and Unified Fire Authority dive teams quickly began searching for him. Mounga had been underwater about 20 minutes by that time, police said.

Mounga’s body was recovered around 4:30 p.m. Drugs or alcohol were not factors in the incident, police said.

“We’ve had too many drownings — one is too many — but we’ve had a few this spring,” Bell said.

Swimmers should use flotation devices and keep someone within an arm’s reach when swimming, he said.

Popua man hospitalised after wife beats him with wood, similar cases go unreported, Police say

A 45-year-old man from Popua is being treated in hospital after his 39-year-old wife allegedly attacked and beat him with a piece of wood.

The victim’s condition was unknown.

Police said the couple had been drinking before the incident happened.

Police have arrested the wife and she remains in Police custody to appear in court.

The couple has 10 children, local media reported.

The reports said Police have revealed there were a number of similar  incidents in Tonga in which the husbands had been beaten by their wives but they were not reported to Police.

According to the reports this is because of the stigma and embarrassment men may feel as victims of domestic violence.

Captain of missing Haʻapai boat contacts Police, all passengers safe

The captain of the missing boat from Fonoifua has made contact with Police at 6pm today Tuesday 28, Tonga Deputy Police commissioner Pelenatita Feʻao has told Kaniva News this evening.

Feʻao said the captain Siua Moimoi talked to Police through a telephone call and said all 11 passengers aboard are safe and sound.

At the time of the contact Moimoi said they were in a location at seas between ʻEua and Tongatapu.

He said they could see the village of Navutoka in Tongatapu from their location,  Feʻao said.

Moimoi said the engine of the boat experienced mechanical failure at times but he could fix it while they were struggling to reach Fāua wharf in Nukuʻalofa.

Feʻao said it appeared the boat somehow went astray while  it was on its way to Fonoifua from Nukuʻalofa on June 27.

They were reported missing this morning after they failed to arrive at Fonoi at around 2am.

READ MORE:

Sea search in Haʻapai for boat, one baby, 2 women, 5 children and 3 men aboard

Sea search in Haʻapai for boat, one baby, 2 women, 5 children and 3 men aboard

A sea search is carried out in Tonga for a boat, one baby girl, four boys, two women, and three men aboard after they failed to arrive at Fonoifua, Haʻapai at around 2am last night.

The 40ft fishing boat was powered by a 75hp outboard engine and it carried the 11 passengers from Nuku’alofa yesterday afternoon, Monday 27 June.

Deputy Police Commissioner Pelenatita Feʻao said the New Zealand P3 Orion aircraft joined the search this afternoon at 2pm.

She said they suspected the missing boat could have suffered mechanical failure.

Police search boat, the ʻAlotolu,  HMAF VOEA Pangai which is currently in Haʻapai taking government officers for the town and district officers election tomorrow and a local boat from Fonoifua were assisting the search since the missing boat was reported this morning.

Feʻao said it was reported from Fonoifua that the missing boat was last seen by another boat bound for the island last night saying the boat overtook them on the way.

Wife of Tongan victim could not attend services, but funeral unites parents

The funeral service for Taʻelata Mōleni, the father of 10 children who died in Mt Wellington last week will be held in Auckland today.

He will be buried tomorrow.

Three of his children with his wife will arrive in Auckland tonight (Tuesday, June 28).

He had six children with his wife.

His partner and their four children arrived in Auckland from Tonga on Saturday (June 25).

Taʻelata’s parents separated while he and his siblings were still young and they each married their new spouses, his brother Talāsinga Mōleni said.

Speaking from Tonga, Talāsinga said his parents contacted each other to discuss arrangements for their son’s funeral.

Taʻelata visited Auckland in the past two months to see his father, who he had not seen for a decade.

Talāsinga and his family will accompany Taʻelata’s three children and his wife to Auckland.

The dead man, who was 42, was involved in an altercation with four young men in the early hours of June 18.

He was walking home from a kava fundraising arranged by the Tongan kava drinkers in the area to raise money for him.

He had been due to leave for Tonga on June 21.

A 21-year-old man and a 16-year-old male appeared in court on Monday 20 charged with assault.

Both were from Otahuhu.

Police said further charges are possible as they are still working to identify others involved in the attack.

The main points

  • The funeral service for Taʻelata Moleni, the father of 10 children who died in Mt Wellington last week will be held in Auckland today.
  • He will be buried tomorrow.
  • The dead man, who was 42, was involved in an altercation with four young men in the early hours of June 18.
  • A 21-year-old man and a 16-year-old male appeared in court on June 20 charged with assault.

For more information

Last picture, Mōleni may have been mistaken for gang member

Body of Mōleni to be buried in Auckland, two appear in court (Kaniva News)

Body of Mōleni to be buried in Auckland, two appear in court

 

 

 

Court imposes TP$9000 fine in counterfeit case

A Chinese businessman has been fined TP$9000 for importing counterfeit goods into the kingdom.

And Tonga’s Supreme Court was told that counterfeiting was becoming more common.

It is believed to be the first case of its kind to be heard.

Xiao Long Fang pleaded guilty to the charge before the Hon. Justice Cato in the Supreme Court.

In his report on the case, the judge said Xiao had imported a large number of exercise books which purported to have been printed by Croxley Stationary Limited.

The cost of printing the real exercise books would be about TP$40,000. However, the books imported by Xiao were made much more cheaply in China.

“Potentially Croxley and other suppliers could have been very seriously  affected had the  defendant  succeeded  in  his  object,  but  Customs  seized the product  on  delivery  in Tongatapu  and  hence  the  defendant was not able to sell them,” Hon. Justice Cato said.

This kind of fraud could seriously harm retailers   who   bought goods through  legitimate  channels, he said.

The main points

  • A Chinese businessman has been fined TP$9000 for importing counterfeit goods into the kingdom.
  • And Tonga’s Supreme Court was told that counterfeiting was becoming more common.
  • It is believed to be the first case of its kind to be heard.
  • Xiao Long Fang pleaded guilty to the charge before the Hon. Justice Cato in the Supreme Court.

Neiafu competitions support government’s keep Tonga clean policy

The Neiafu Cleanest Competitions will be held in Vavaʻu next month to support the government’s policy to keep the country clean and beautiful.

Tomifā Paea, Chair of Tonga Tourism Authority, said the Prime Minister visited the islands recently and he told the Vavaʻuans “to keep Vavaʻu clean”.

“It is a beautification programme to support Prime Minister Akilisi Pohiva and his message to Vava’u on his last visit”, Paea said.

A meeting held in Vavaʻu last week confirmed the competitions will begin on Monday 11 to Friday 15.

The meeting was attended by Mele Fīnau from the Ministry of Environment as well as a Japanese Peace Corps Volunteer.

The meeting was chaired by the Governor’s Secretary and attended by some of Neiafu’s town officers and district officers.

The competition items  will include inspection of churches, schools, villages, homes and tourism sites to see which is the cleanest.

The villagers were encouraged to grow ornamental gardens for the competition.

The winners will be awarded cash prizes of TP$300 for the first prizes and TP$200 and TP$100 for the second and third prizes.

Paea said he has offered to sponsor all the prizes.