Auckland, NZ — A 43‑year‑old man has been charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition as police continue to investigate last month’s shooting in Onehunga.

The charge follows ongoing inquiries by the Auckland City Organised Crime Unit into the incident, which occurred on Arthur Street on 16 January 2026.
As part of the investigation, officers executed a search warrant at a Māngere property on Friday, Detective Senior Sergeant Matt Bunce confirmed.
“Our detectives were supported by the Armed Offenders Squad, and we have recovered a shotgun and ammunition,” he said.
“At this stage we are unable to confirm whether this firearm was involved in the original offending.”
A 43‑year‑old man has since been charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition. He appeared in the Auckland District Court over the weekend.
“We have no tolerance for blatant violence involving firearms in our community,” Detective Senior Sergeant Bunce said.
“While we cannot share further details of the ongoing work, a dedicated investigative team is focused on holding those involved accountable for what happened that day.”
Police continue to urge anyone with information to come forward.
People can contact Police via the online update form or by calling 105 and quoting the reference 260116/9278. Information can also be provided anonymously through Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.






